roosters in the nest box

No, not really like that with chickens. For example, my rooster gets into the nest box everyday and hollows out a nice little nest for his ladies to lay their eggs in. He clucks and chirps and gets all excited until the girls come over and check it out. I don't think they're very impressed though, bc they usually lay in the other one
gig.gif
Poor guy! He tries real hard though!!!
Nikki
that's what my roosters do too!
They go into the nest box and make a nice nest and call the ladies to come.
Once one rooster even seemed to go a bit broody and sat on some eggs for a few days - he was young so perhaps he was a bit confused, or taking his duties too far lol.

Thanks all for your replies on the 14 I bought a new hen and named her valentine she's a old english game wheaten hen and when I introduced her rango jumped ontop of her and started vibrating which really made my 3 year old son really scared he thought his killing her but soon stopped,spots however attacked her and the rest of my hens joined in on bulling the new girl so I was abit confused that rango wanted to tango and spots and the girls tried pecking her makes a lot of sense now thanks everyone

Ha! Imagine my surprise when I opened up backyardchickens.com and saw my rooster on the main page! That's my rooster, Blu, he loves that nesting box. :) Every time I put fresh hay into it he goes in there and gets it ready for his girls.

if you are going to introduce a single hen to a flock it is best to have her in a pen the others cannot get in. then they can see her but cannot bully her, then by the time you take her out she will not be such the new kid on the block.

In other news, I am getting a roo. and EE!

I have her in a rabbit cage in the coop so that they can't get hold of her I'm trying out something new ill let everyone know about it if it works so far its going good I just hope it works she was the last one and I thought she was beautiful here in jhb the chickens are expensive the only place that sells then at good prices are a petshop but they sell them out really fast so she was the last one I only have 9 chickens and building my flock up to 16 that's what I have space for but will take some time to get the birds I want

I have her in a rabbit cage in the coop so that they can't get hold of her I'm trying out something new ill let everyone know about it if it works so far its going good I just hope it works she was the last one and I thought she was beautiful here in jhb the chickens are expensive the only place that sells then at good prices are a petshop but they sell them out really fast so she was the last one I only have 9 chickens and building my flock up to 16 that's what I have space for but will take some time to get the birds I want

With wild birds the female makes the nest with help of the males, especially in Doves, the male collects the stems and twigs, brings them to the female and she places them. If she drops a twig, she will sit until the male retrevies it or gets another. Your hens and roosters, the female alway wallow out the 'nest' in the material you put in a box, just throw in sme straw, pack it half full, or put in a couple hands full and leave it alone, go back in a bit and see a well wallowed out nest the hen made. Roosters hardly ever got in a nest in my Kentucky house. That 'cackling' and 'clucking' and scratching you see from roosters is acting like he has found some food is to attact the hen's to 'test the females to see if one is ready to breed. Watch the rooster when he clucks and the hens approach, he will drop on wing and circle the hens, if one is receptive, she 'squats down' and he will mount and bred her, otherwise, he will go off to being a rooster.

No, I have seen my boy physically make a nest. Not just call them over with hopes of breeding them. He does it in the nest boxes and sometimes on the floor (or other locations he deems suitable for his girls)...he's even picked up pieces of straw or shavings and placed them on his back like I've seen the hens do after they lay an egg!
Nikki

Last edited:
My Light Sussex pullets are 1/2 sisters. The rooster is a close relative. The 2 girls started laying in Jan.
I went out last week and found the roo in the nest with the 2 girls. This lasted a couple of days. Then he
was out again and hasn't been in since. I was told it might be because he was lonely. Only the one hen
is sitting eggs, Her 1/2 sis is just keeping her company.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom