roosters in the nest box

My giant blue orp loves to sleep in the nest box and it looks like he is almost trying to make the nest more comfy :lol: he will even pick up straw and move it around in a specific place. If I didn't know better I'd swear he was a hen.

Are you sure you didn't have a little mix of gamecock inone of the roosters? Cochins are passive bred, supposed to never be agressive. Gamecpocks are bred to fight at the sight of another rooster.

No, not really like that with chickens. For example, my rooster gets into the nest box everyday and hollows out a nice little nest for his ladies to lay their eggs in. He clucks and chirps and gets all excited until the girls come over and check it out. I don't think they're very impressed though, bc they usually lay in the other one
gig.gif
Poor guy! He tries real hard though!!!
Nikki

It seems to be a characteristic of some roosters to prepare the nest for the hens to lay their eggs from what I've been observing.

Seems like a way of courting?

Roosters sleeping in the nest is weird?
big_smile.png
Maybe they are confused which gender they are suppose to be.
lol.png

The only time I find my roosters in a nest box is if I have just put in fresh nesting material. They "hollow out" the nest and then make a crooning noise similar to the one that means they found food. I always figured this one meant, "Look at this wonderful nest I made for you, my ladies!" As soon as they start checking it out, he only stays there a few minutes longer (making sure he gets the credit) then he hops out and puffs out his chest proudly. It is hilarious!!! I love them!!!

Last edited:
Wow, so that is what my roo had been up to!? I was wondering what business he had in the nesting box. There was a broody hen in the nesting box and I thought he was messing with her. I didn't have the heart to deny her a chance to be a momma, but she was just 5 months old, so I bought 2 chicks, day before yesterday (one 3-days-old white leghorn and another 5-weeks-old mixed,) and introduced them to her in broad daylight, and she accepted them. It's funny the two siblings with their wide age gap are close to each other and their momma. <3

Last edited:
Every GOOD rooster I've had has checked out nest boxes for his ladies. My dominant roo, Carl, searches out other nifty places for his ladies and calls them to see. He once decided an empty box, partially broken down next to the garbage can was a great spot. Several hens were invited to check it out, so I decided I'd better remove that temptation.

During the summer, Carl has settled down in private places just to take a nap. He lets the junior roosters watch the flock and deal with the hens, just for a few minute's break. :D

Every GOOD rooster I've had has checked out nest boxes for his ladies. My dominant roo, Carl, searches out other nifty places for his ladies and calls them to see. He once decided an empty box, partially broken down next to the garbage can was a great spot. Several hens were invited to check it out, so I decided I'd better remove that temptation.

During the summer, Carl has settled down in private places just to take a nap. He lets the junior roosters watch the flock and deal with the hens, just for a few minute's break.
big_smile.png

Yup!!!
I'll have to get the pic when I'm on the other computer, but our old rooster (<33 I miss him) Gryphon checked out the nestboxes when they got the new ones (Which were really dog boxes with hay in them, lol)
It was very cute

I also have a pic of him and our orpington (also gone, <3 ) hanging out in their own little nest. lol! I swear, he was trying to help her hatch hay xD (she was broody)

The one on the right is a hen,
roosters teach the new ladies where they are suppose to lay there eggs, he's saying come on in I wanna make chicks........
my EE rooster does this all the time, he will even sit in there with my new pullets until they get it.....I was baffled at first too, and couldn't figure out what the heck he was doing.......LOL until I set up shop one afternoon to watch. He kept calling my new POL pullets over to investigate the box, cooing and yaking at them, until they settled in then he would move to the next nest box and call another girl over and stay with her awhile, making the same noises and such until he felt satisfied then he would perch on the nest box and wait...low and behold an hour later I had 2 eggs...... I love my EE roo, he is a good watcher and a good protector, he even watches the sky for hawks.......Kim
This is him calling the girls in the dog kennel where they like to lay sometimes.....

PS get ready for eggs if she isn't already laying she soon will be......her comb looks nice and reddened up.

Last edited:
We have a young Blue Ameraucana that started hopping into the nest boxes this week - he is with two other young cockerels (a few months older than he) that are crowing and more advanced. I was hoping he was a male because we have some blue ameraucana pullets that are unrelated for him to produce chicks with. When I saw him in the nest, I second-guessed my idea that he was a male, but after reading about their activities in nest boxes, I think my original idea that he is a male is correct! I had given up on having blue babies this year, but now I have renewed hope!

Back
Top Bottom