Attachments

• IMG_3839.jpeg
    IMG_3839.jpeg
    726.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3837.jpeg
    IMG_3837.jpeg
    851.7 KB · Views: 19
Update on the roosters:

They’ve been living in separate coops with small runs attached where they can see any hens that happen to be nearby.

Winston Churchill (the Phoenix) loves the girls and seems to have the makings of a good rooster; he tries to show them where food is and dances for time. He’s skittish but will eat out of your hand and is learning his name.

The other rooster, whom I cannot decide on a name for, is very scared of people, though he’s improved slightly. He has no interest in the hens and will actually try to fight them or the turkeys (both female) through the fence.

Both roosters are very picky about food, eating mostly scratch grains and cracked corn. They will sometimes eat crumbles (duck or chick feed). I also give them mixed vegetables and they seem to enjoy those. The white/black rooster eats the least and his menu consists 90% of scratch.

I am considering making a large pen for Winston and allowing the hens to go in there with him for an hour or two during the day. I don’t want to let him free range because I’m worried something bad will happen and I don’t think I can catch him. Also the hens live in two separate coops so I couldn’t just put him in one big coop with them.

What are your thoughts on this? (Sorry for the long post!)

Attachments

• IMG_3833.jpeg
    IMG_3833.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3831.jpeg
    IMG_3831.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom