Roosters in the Woods

We have both pullets and roosters that get roughed up very bad sometimes and I have to hold them while my wife the nurse cleans their wounds and applies antibiotic ointment. Sometimes they are in shock and it is easy. Other times it is very difficult to hold them still so when can see what she is doing. We have a roo in a crate now that will always be a pet and never be allowed to free range where other roos can get to him. He was in total shock when I got to him with 6-7 rooster pinning him to the ground working him over. Roosters 5 times his size. Somehow he got out of his coop. I have had 5-6 young pullets killed this year when they would get out when to young for grown roosters. None lately. Most all are all grown up now and can handle themselves.

Winston Churchill (the brown one) is already showing signs of frostbite on his beautiful comb. I moved him into the basement for tonight but he can’t stay down there all winter of course. I know you’re supposed to run petroleum jelly or coconut oil on the comb but I can hardly apply it to me chickens, let alone a rooster that hardly knows me. Should I put a heating pad into the house with him (If we should happen to loose electricity I would have to bring him in the basement)? From what I read the Phoenix doesn’t do very well in colder temperatures.

I have read repeatedly, from knowledgeable people on this forum, that putting petroleum jelly on combs does NOT prevent frostbite.

@Eggcessive I believe you are one of the people who regularly says this, so maybe you can elaborate if needed?

(As a practical point, I know vaseline would make a sticky mess, and applying it regularly would be a nuisance. It might be worth dealing with those issues if it actually helps, but not if it is useless or harmful.)

I have read repeatedly, from knowledgeable people on this forum, that putting petroleum jelly on combs does NOT prevent frostbite.

@Eggcessive I believe you are one of the people who regularly says this, so maybe you can elaborate if needed?

(As a practical point, I know vaseline would make a sticky mess, and applying it regularly would be a nuisance. It might be worth dealing with those issues if it actually helps, but not if it is useless or harmful.)
Yes, since vaseline petroleum jelly can freeze itself, it is not a good idea to apply it to combs. Usually, I would not ever see frostbite on combs unless it has been near zero temps in January or Feb. It helps to prevent frostbite by allowing high overhead ventilation to remove humidity build up from breath inside the coop. With zero temps, it can be hard to completely prevent. Most frostbite on combs will heal eventually sometimes making the comb more rounded off.

Back
Top Bottom