Roosters in the Woods

@WoDia
@Red Mangrove
@LTAY1946 (this is the original thread I made about the two roosters)

Just wanted to let y’all know that I made a big pen 10’ x 10’ for the two roosters and they were fighting in a matter of minutes over the hens. The brown one bullies the other even when the hens are out of sight. He is also very much infatuated by the girls; he dances for them and tries to show them food. They take to his attentions with pleasure. What shall I do about the white one? If I get him his own set of hens do you think they would be able to coexist? For now, though, the roosters will have to live in separate houses, and the temperatures get below freezing at nights. Would they both be fine all alone like that?
They should be okay temporarily, if their space is well-insulated from any drafts. Give each of them enough bedding to snuggle down into. 😊

They prefer to roost, but I did put plenty of straw at the bottom. Thank y’all for your help, I don’t know where I would be without it. I am going to try to keep both roosters because I wouldn’t feel comfortable selling to anyone in my area. Many poultry here live in less than stellar conditions. We have an old shed my parents want to replace and they say I can use it so I might very well end up getting seven+ more hens and having two flocks. The problem is that I’ll be graduating from college this next summer and need to start thinking about work. I kind of feel overwhelmed because these animals are so addictive and circumstances dictate decisions. Okay, enough of my rant :duc. I will keep y’all updated though on the roosters!

They prefer to roost, but I did put plenty of straw at the bottom. Thank y’all for your help, I don’t know where I would be without it. I am going to try to keep both roosters because I wouldn’t feel comfortable selling to anyone in my area. Many poultry here live in less than stellar conditions. We have an old shed my parents want to replace and they say I can use it so I might very well end up getting seven+ more hens and having two flocks. The problem is that I’ll be graduating from college this next summer and need to start thinking about work. I kind of feel overwhelmed because these animals are so addictive and circumstances dictate decisions. Okay, enough of my rant :duc. I will keep y’all updated though on the roosters!
The straw’s a good idea for added insulation. I actually have a few of my roosters who prefer to nest in the bedding, rather than up on the roost 😂. Yes, it can feel overwhelming at times, but we are all here any time you need help figuring something out. Lots of members with great ideas on how to manage your flocks. If your family can help look out for them…. Great! Your chickens will do just fine when you work, etc, with the right setup. Those are two very fortunate roosters. 😊

What is it with roosters in the woods? Do people abandon them? I have never had chickens, but apparently I have a young rooster now. He was found in the woods.
Yes, people abandon them all the time, rooster dumping is a serious problem. In my area there’s always at least 20 at the local garbage dump (all different breeds, mixes of breeds, and ages) and there’s always new ones each time I go there. The “old” ones disappear pretty quickly, the roosters dumped there don’t live too long.

I doubt any roosters with food, water, and shelter would run away from that to go live in the woods. I could understand them joining a free ranging flock from another free ranging flock, but these ones were most likely dumped.

Last edited:
Here’s a couple more pictures. They made acquaintance with Rose and Minna. The brown one started crowing and kind of dancing for them. Do y’all have any idea what breeds or how old they are?
I agree that one is a Phoenix, but I don’t think the other is a twentse. From the look of it, he used to have a single comb; he’s been dubbed. I’m guessing he’s a mix between Phoenix and something else due to the long saddle feathers (maybe phoenix x game). They are also both mature, as can be seen from the long feathers, so are at least 2 years old.
These breeds of roosters are generally gentle with hens, so you could try just splitting the hen flock you already have.

Yes, people abandon them all the time, rooster dumping is a serious problem. In my area there’s always at least 20 at the local garbage dump (all different breeds, mixes of breeds, and ages) and there’s always new ones each time I go there. The “old” ones disappear pretty quickly, the roosters dumped there don’t live too long.

I doubt any roosters with food, water, and shelter would run away from that to go live in the woods. I could understand them joining a free ranging flock from another free ranging flock, but these ones were most likely dumped.
It would be kinder to just eat them.

We live in a posh, private "village" in Spain and somebody send their chickens in the evening to the street 😡.
Our security guards brought them to us and we kept them, more followed: thrown over the wall ....🤬.
And then there was the little rooster we could hear for days but never see or catch. My husband put food and water out on an empty plot and one day he showed up, hungry and thirsty, in our garden - definitely attracted by the sound of our chickens and pheasants.
There is a good chance that they will walk right up to your hens. Good luck 🤞.

Winston Churchill (the brown one) is already showing signs of frostbite on his beautiful comb. I moved him into the basement for tonight but he can’t stay down there all winter of course. I know you’re supposed to run petroleum jelly or coconut oil on the comb but I can hardly apply it to me chickens, let alone a rooster that hardly knows me. Should I put a heating pad into the house with him (If we should happen to loose electricity I would have to bring him in the basement)? From what I read the Phoenix doesn’t do very well in colder temperatures.

Winston Churchill (the brown one) is already showing signs of frostbite on his beautiful comb. I moved him into the basement for tonight but he can’t stay down there all winter of course. I know you’re supposed to run petroleum jelly or coconut oil on the comb but I can hardly apply it to me chickens, let alone a rooster that hardly knows me. Should I put a heating pad into the house with him (If we should happen to loose electricity I would have to bring him in the basement)? From what I read the Phoenix doesn’t do very well in colder temperatures.
You most likely should get help putting the oil on their combs. Prevention is better than cure.

Back
Top Bottom