Roosters in the Woods

Hopefully the hens will do the work for me then…I can’t get into the thorn bushes and it’s getting dark here. But both parties have been quiet as of late. Can they detect each other’s presence by any other means than sound?

They’ve moved inward (toward the house) and are now about a few hundred feet from the house. But there is a road and a fence in the way. We fed them some scratch and they were very happy to get it. The brown one is more friendly, he came toward me of his own accord. I did get some better photos!

Attachments

• IMG_3763.jpeg
    IMG_3763.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3766.jpeg
    IMG_3766.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 34
I got the white one! :yesss::weeHe was perching in a pile of brush. Most of his comb is missing and whatever’s left is bloody. I’ll get a picture tomorrow.
I looked all over for the brown one but couldn’t find him as it was pitch black at that point so will resume the search tomorrow.

Here’s a couple pictures of the white one. Sorry they’re blurry but he won’t stand still. He’s cock-a-doodle-doing out there with all his might. Lyd and Rose (two chickens) live right next door and couldn’t believe their ears!
The other rooster is out and about. I fed him some more, which he seemed to appreciate.
Do you think the crowing of the first rooster will bring him over or drive him away? They were hanging out together in the woods but…

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpeg
    IMG_3769.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    721.2 KB · Views: 30
My guess is that the brown one won’t want to be alone, so the sound of your flock will bring him closer yet. I’m happy to hear that you caught the white one and are giving him treatment. 😊

Here’s a couple more pictures. They made acquaintance with Rose and Minna. The brown one started crowing and kind of dancing for them. Do y’all have any idea what breeds or how old they are?

Attachments

• IMG_3785.jpeg
    IMG_3785.jpeg
    701 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3780.jpeg
    IMG_3780.jpeg
    568.9 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom