Rooster's nose is bad, real bad. What to do?

My girls showed no outward signs of a respiratory disease..just a few had plugged noses, but not to the extent of your roo's. After losing 5 birds, I had a few survivors tested at CSU..and they all have M. Synoviae. The doc prescribed Tylan.

My girls showed no outward signs of a respiratory disease..just a few had plugged noses, but not to the extent of your roo's. After losing 5 birds, I had a few survivors tested at CSU..and they all have M. Synoviae. The doc prescribed Tylan.

I've heard that with M. Synovaie, the birds will generally have some joints that are swollen & painful, so they will move around less. Were your birds like that?

Only a few had swollen joints. I would say that not all the girls had the same symptoms. In the beginning, it was just a runny rose that ran it's course and was gone in a couple of weeks. Then, one by one, I noticed these things: lethargy, weight loss, pale combs. This only happened one at a time. One would die, then another would show symptoms. When they died, they laid over on their side and liquid came out of the beak. My roo, who never made it to adulthood, walked around with no problem until the day he died. I took two birds to CSU to have them tested. A one year old from my original flock, and a 3 month old that we got as a baby. They all have it. I guess my point is, we can all guess at what is wrong with our birds, but you never really know until you have them tested. Had I done testing on my birds at the beginning of all of this, I might have been able to save some of them. The mortality rate is not supposed to be that high, but I have lost 5 birds out of 8 to this disease. They are now on Tylan, and have been for 3 days. One of my babies, a Campine, has swollen feet, and does not walk well. I am going to check on her in a few minutes, and see how she is doing after 3 days on the antibiotic. She can hardly walk, but I see no mucous in her nose or eyes. Yesterday when she was drinking, we saw mucous come from her mouth. She is very alert, and eats constantly., but just sits in her little paddock we made for her. I am also giving all the birds electrolytes. By the way...I didn't pay a cent for any of my testing. I imagine that is because it is a learning experience for those at the veterinary college. I had phoned a few vets in my area, and asked them what their procedure would be, and they informed me that they would take samples and send them to CSU anyway. I cut out the middle man (the vet) and went straight to CSU. Yes, it was a drive, and cost $30 in gas..but that's a lot better than $65 to see the vet, then another $125 to send it to CSU.

MrsRodgers,
So sorry about the chickens you lost!
hugs.gif
I'm glad you were able to get a diagnosis & be able to give treatment now, & share experience.
If Tylan doesn't happen to work for your birds' particular strain of Mycoplasma Synovaie, you can find lists of other meds that you can try on the Medicine Chart on PoultryPedia.com, too.
It sounds like you have been giving your birds conscientious watch & I hope things go very well with them.

Whatever it is in his nose it seems to keep coming back. We dig it out and a couple of days later it's back. Not sure what to do now. I have been putting Neosporin and VetRX on it. Maybe Tylan injectible is next.

I just read this while researching Tylan

Mycoplasmosis Symptoms
The symptoms, which are slow to develop, resemble the symptoms of a standard respiratory infection: Watery eyes, dirty nostrils, coughing and sneezing. It also causes decreased egg production, lowered fertility and decreased hatchability. There are various species of Mycoplasma that can infect chickens, but the most common in small flocks is Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG). The disease can have a long course of infection and can lead to the accumulation of a “cheesy” material in the eyelids and sinuses as well as noticeable outward swelling.

The "cheesy material" and "outward swelling" are what my roo has.

I think I will definetely get some Tylan today.

Last edited:
Have you tried any treatment that is effective against fungus? I know I keep suggesting it, but if it keeps coming back while you treat for bacteria, that indicates to me it might not be bacterial, and an anti fungal would be worth a try.

I have heard great things about a product call Vetericyn, it cleans and treats inhibiting the growth of bacteria, viruses, and fungi. It comes in spray and I got some at Tractor Supply to have on hand. ...poor guy, I hope you can help him get over his nose affliction.

I went to get some Tylan 50. I told them what was going on and showed them the pics. They said I should try this anti-bacteria, anti-fungal called Banixx so that's what I got.

Wish me luck.

http://www.banixx.com/

It's been raining all day so I haven't been up there to check until a few minutes ago. He actually looks much better. I think maybe whatever it was is going away. I might not even need to Banixx. One nostril (right side) is almost normal the other is still flared out but it's not full of crude, just a little stuff left over that I will clean out again. Believe me, yesterday it was awful. We pulled out some big blobs and I was not optimistic. You should be able to see how open his left nostril is not with just a little bit of scab/ointment left over.

I think he's feeling much better too. He was really acting like a rooster the 15 mins I was there. He mounted two hens but the big rooster ran him off. I have never seen him mount a hen before. He was calling and strutting like he owned the place. Again, never seen that from him yet. He was feeling cocky until the big rooster put him in his place. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I want to believe it's because he feels better and he can be himself now.

Back
Top Bottom