Roosters or hens?

paddock36

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 24, 2008
Ocala, Florida
I purchased 3 RIR, 1 Buff Ophington, 1 Barred Rock, and 2 Red Comets (I think was the name of the last). They were all supposed to be hens but we discovered the Barred Rock was a Roo when he crowed. They are about 4 months old. Is there a way to know for sure if the others are Roo's too? The combs look short on the others.

Pics please
smile.png

OR instead of pics, you could go out to your pen, pick each bird up (starting with the rooster) and look at the feathers on their back...behind the wings, in front of the tail. It is called the saddle. If they are round, it is a hen. If they are sharp and pointed, it is a rooster.

welcome-byc.gif

At this age you should be able to tell pretty easy the hens from the roosters, the roosters will have bigger combs and longer tail feathers. And they should be real close to crowing age like your other !! Most likey the BR is the only rooster, somtimes the hatcherys throw in an extra chick (most of the time a rooster)

Good luck !!

And if you would like to post a pic and dont know how, here is a link that will help..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=504

I looked at the feathers and all the others have the round feathers on the saddle area. So I believe they are hens. Took me a while but I added photos anyway.
20124_2008_seaworld_christmas_chickens_150.jpg

20124_2008_seaworld_christmas_chickens_149.jpg

20124_2008_seaworld_christmas_chickens_154.jpg

Back
Top Bottom