Roosters Pros and Cons

We had 3 rooster and 28 laying hens, it was to many rooster, we had to decide which one to cull, for us it wasn't a a hard decision we had a jersey giant, 6months old that was giving me the stink eye and followed me around, behaviour I do not tolerate because I know whats coming. he now rest in our freezer waiting for a dinner invitation ;) the hens are more relaxed, they aren't constantly being harassed and such... and I don't look over my shoulder when I am out there.

Well, everyone will have different experiences. Some will be similar, and some will not be either similar to others, or typical. It's animal nature.
That said, with my two mostly grown roosters, one is Alpha, and one is Beta, and WANTS to be the Alpha. While I refer to him getting a butt whoopin, the Alpha roo, has never, that I've seen, physically harmed the Beta roo. He will run him off, if he suspects that the Beta, is trying to cozy up to any of the girls. But, as soon as he is headed away, the Alpha, returns to his girls, and looks after them. He's a gentleman, when it comes to eating. He doesn't let the other birds in the flock mess with the hens (turkeys and guineas can tend to be mean), and he's a big help, calling the girls in, when I decide it's time for them to coop (sometimes due to plans, I need them to coop early). He's not mean, to humans, but he's not super friendly either. Like most chickens, he's not fond of being caught and held. But, he will stand there, and let the girls all eat out of my hand, before he steps in, when he figures he's been enough of a gentleman, and then partake of the treats. He doesn't peck any harder, than the hens, and none of them peck hard enough, for there to be pain, of any kind. Just a light pinch, here and there. They are all, amazingly accurate with those beaks.

But, there is truth, and good info, in each of these replies. You have to weigh the pros and cons, and decide what is best for you. As for us, I never planned on having roosters, as I simply wanted egg laying hens. But, in our haste to get hens that were laying, we bought some adults, and the Roos, came with them. So, I started this process, kind of anti-Roo, and have become very pro-Roo, in the process. If you plan on raising show birds, where you don't wish for messed up feathers, or if you just are anti-nature, and don't want roosters doing what roosters do, then stick with hens only. But, if you like the interaction, and don't mind that nature WILL do, what nature does, (that includes everything that comes with roosters), then, by all means, have roosters, just make certain that you have enough roosters, to hens, in ratio.

I got these 2 long boxes from a burn pit and took out every other drawer so hens can lay and the cabinets will be night boxes for roosters. This may be cabinets or 2 sides for a captains bed.

see the gaps?
the boxes are not tightly sealed there is light around the edges. they are not like the new kind that close up tight, thanks though.

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

OK--thanks everyone for all the responses on too many roos. I wasn't taking into account that they are still juveniles. I'm sure things will get a little more "hairy" as they get older and compete. So, if I have 5 hens, I need to keep just one roo. Or get a few more hens and keep 2 roos. Scooter16

This is my first batch of chickens, but I've had some rooster experience I can share. My New Hampshire roosters (4) and Barred Plymouth Rock roosters (3) did fine with each other until about week 14 or 15. Then one by one a rooster would "mature" start crowing, and eventually torment pullets and chase at least one other rooster off from the flock. I would separate that rooster, and another would take his place. One day I came home and my favorite (low-ranking, laid back rooster) had his crop torn completely open - a mortal wound. Eventually, the 3 most mature, dominant roosters would not tolerate being in the same pen, even well away from the females. The lower ranked of the 3 would just cower in a corner and never get to the food or water. Eventually, I got up the courage to butcher my first chickens - those 3 roosters - and life has been good since. And the first one I ate tasted great. My birds are now almost 18 weeks, one of the 3 remaining roosters has taken over top spot and is tolerating the presence of the other two for now. Today, I saw him try to mate a mature looking Brown leghorn pullet and she didn't complain. I only have 16 hens, so I plan to butcher at least 1 of the roosters before too long, and maybe 2, if they don't get along or are too hard on the pullets. I'm kind of hoping that my two remaining New Hampshires, one of which has taken the top spot, remain buddies and not be too much for the hens. But, if that doesn't happen, my main goal is to protect the hens and not have a constant rooster hassle on my hands. I know that an alternative would have been to pick one of my top roosters and get rid of the others, but by the time I was able to convince myself I could butcher my birds, I didn't LIKE any of the 3 biggest roosters.
smile.png
Plus, the two biggest roosters where picking and eating feathers of the pullets a lot - not just back of the neck bumbling attempts at mating, either. The New Hampshires that I still have are gorgeous and friendly, so I'm enjoying them so far.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom