Rooster's severely infected shanks! What should I do?

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

Yes, I was thinking it was not from bumblefoot. I am just thinking this rooster needs a good internal antibiotic to help clear any infection if there is some. I did some rescue work with some chickens that had extreme scaly leg mite but this seems different. Scaly leg mite tends to kill off the toes. I hope you can get him in to see a vet.
sharon

Here is the Care Credit info. Not all vets take it so you'll have to ask.

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

Another thing you can do for soaking with epsom salts is what people do for their horses that need soaking. Make a boot in this case you maybe can get by using a plastic baggie, maybe double layer so his claws don't poke a hole in it.
You can tape it up so he can leave it on longer. Or you can make an epsom salt paste out of water and epsom salt, put it on a bandage or clean cloth. Make sure every place you want to draw infection is in conact with the paste. Wrap the bandge or cloth with vet wrap but not so tight that it cuts circulation. Not sure how long you would want to leave that on a chicken. On a horse you can leave on all day but their foot is alot differnt. You don't want to damage any of he healthy tissue on the Roos foot by being in constant contact witht the salt.

Looks like your doing a good job so far. I can't remember but is the Rooster limping ?

I would rub vasoline on his legs all over. This will help smother those scaly leg mites.

Last edited:
What a cute rooster. He seems very tame to. If you took a tooth brush to the scales that would help to. Do it crosswhys and the bristles up into the scales slits. Is he in a seperate area? that would probably be good as you will need to continue his treatment for a while.
smile.png

Edit: OOPS sorry I read this backwards . It sounds like you are doing everything for him. Very good. I wish you the best of luck and I hope he recovers. I would love to see the progress.!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom