Rooster's severely infected shanks! What should I do?

Quote:
No, he's not walking good. When walking he has a difficult time moving his legs past each other and it's worse if he runs.
sad.png

Last edited:
New thought. After some research, maybe he has Avian Gout. Articular avian gout affects the feet and leg joints and the tendons of the hocks. It is a result of renal disease/failure.

Quote:
Yeah, I don't think so either but I still went ahead and did the treatment. Now I'm going to apply antibiotic ointment on his legs with a wrap and move him to a grassy area, away from the dirt in the coop. Which I cleaned two days ago.
What antibiotic would you recommend?
How does this look different? Is it that the infection appears to be like scaly mites, or does he actually have them?
Yes, me too. Today, the animal hospital called me that I could take Denice, but said they don't cover birds. I responded saying if there is no other option that I'm going to take him.

Have you tried some Blu Kote? That stuff is great, but it stains like crazy... It might help, I don't think it wipes off as fast as regular antibiotic creams. It can't hurt. I think he might need some oral antibiotics too. Hope you can get him some help, your doing a good job! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom