Rooster's Spurs Are Growing In....can They Be Removed?

You don't need to remove them unless they are causing a problem. I removed one of my rooster's spurs with the hot potato method- it worked amazingly well- spur came off like a knife through hot butter... just slipped right off. I did it because I wanted to see if it worked. I have 5 roosters and they so far they have spurs (except for one rooster, missing the one spur), as they aren't hurting each other and aren't hurting the hens. I will remove my oldest's spurs soon though, as they are getting long enough that they will interfere with his walking soon....
I agree- if the rooster is aggressive with people or hurting the hens- despurring him isn't the answer. It is not a bad idea to know how to do it, but it is unlikely to be useful very often!
The spur I removed a year ago with the hot potato method has NOT grown back at all- it remains a nub, I assume the method killed all of the living tissue in the quick.

All excellent advice. Thank you. Hot potato method, eh? That might be something to file away for later use! My roosters have been really sweet and get along with each other fairly well. The thought came to me if I should remove the spurs as a precautionary measure? They are just tiny little nubs right now. I value everybody's input!

Back
Top Bottom