Rooster's wattles are swelling

IloveBuffy

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 8, 2013
My rooster's wattles are bigger and a lot wider than they were. He isn't outside with the others, he's just sitting on the roost. His whole face seems to have gotten a bit bigger. What's happening to him? Is it contagious?

OK, I don't think it's frostbite, he is acting fine but a little lazy. At night he comes down and is normal (except for the swollen face).

Eggsessive, just saw your 2nd post, probably is frostbite.
sad.png
Is there any cure for it?

I've never treated frostbite, but someone on another thread mentioned that their vet gave them Silvadene Cream to put on it--that is what they use on bad human burns to help heal and prevent infection. If you have some neoporin or other antibiotic ointment I would coat them plus the comb in case he gets more. Besides fowl cholera, I also think that coryza can cause swollen wattles. Coryza is a respiratory disease that causes thick nasal secretions and usually swollen eyes or face, and it usually has a bad smell.

OK, but he is a Polish Crested, so his comb doesn't have it and probably wont, because of the feathers protecting it. But I'll do his comb too

Back
Top Bottom