Roosters whining Most irritating noise ever!

ChooksinChoppers

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ocala, Florida.
If the crowing isn't enough, a couple of our roosters stand there making this whining squeaky groaning noise for what seems like hours! It's the most irritating sound I ever heard. (probably cause I'm getting older and cranky) Then the hens join in with their louder version because the favorite nest box is occupied. Drives me to the point of yelling out "Shut up already!" and if they don't, a quick squirt with the hose gives them something else to think about. It gives me a headache! Thinking seriously of giving SourRoses the morning shift and going back to bed! :barnie

If the crowing isn't enough, a couple of our roosters stand there making this whining squeaky groaning noise for what seems like hours! It's the most irritating sound I ever heard. (probably cause I'm getting older and cranky) Then the hens join in with their louder version because the favorite nest box is occupied. Drives me to the point of yelling out "Shut up already!" and if they don't, a quick squirt with the hose gives them something else to think about. It gives me a headache! Thinking seriously of giving SourRoses the morning shift and going back to bed! :barnie
Oh man!
You've got to get a video of this so we can hear too.

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Aww... The whining whistle noise seems to be mostly Raven. He's watching the sky when he does it, so I think it's a pre-predator noise... maybe.
It does keep the other boys alert.
But hey! On the flip side, we haven't lost any chooks to predators despite those dang hawks moving in, the cats and coons and possum. Maybe they are being irritated away...

Nesting box drama is soooooo bad in my flock my 8 hens use two nesting boxes. The amount of screaming is outrageous.
Oh I know, bawhahaha, I can’t help but laugh… mine lay in just two of 6 nesting boxes with two coops… and sometimes I can see a hen running back and fourth frantic because she wants a nest but won’t go in if there is another hen on the nest…the hissing or whatever you call it is all you hear. 😂. Idk if it’s normal or not either

My rooster whines like that when he THINKS trouble may be coming but not there yet. If I enter the run when he is in there he cocks his head, looks at me and goes "Awwwwwwwww, Aww, Awwwwwww...." The hens mostly ignore him.

He saved our Orpington last year though. A coyote grabbed her from under the fence and took off with her in his mouth. The Rooster let out a yell so loud that I ran outside just in time to see the coyote with the hen in his mouth. I let out a yell, scared the coyote who dropped the hen and ran away. She was shaken for several days and wouldn't leave the coop, but fully recovered. THAT is the main reason I keep a rooster!

Yup. I've got one or two RIR Roos that have that whine and sometimes it is a warning to me to let the hens alone. I'm forever picking one up for a jam session about what is happening in the coop. I need the low down on any news that she may have to report. I need an interpreter.

Yup. I've got one or two RIR Roos that have that whine and sometimes it is a warning to me to let the hens alone. I'm forever picking one up for a jam session about what is happening in the coop. I need the low down on any news that she may have to report. I need an interpreter.
They do seem to talk a lot. My EE and buff orp do it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom