Roosters: wing-clipping or neutering

Laura948

Hatching
Oct 2, 2021
Hi- I would like to start a bachelor pad I’m just a pair or maybe three roosters. Here is the way my property is set up: big run and coop in the back with six chickens and five ducks. In front of that, we have a large barn and two very large fenced areas where the dogs that we board In our house run around. Then, in the front of the house, we have a very small coop and not much of a run at all. We have used it as a nursery for chicks. I would like to put the roosters in there and allow them to free range- just leave the door open and close it at night. Issues are that The roosters will hear the chickens at the other end of the property. If the roosters attempt to get over to the big chicken coop and they fly over the fence to cross to the dog area obviously it would be dangerous for them. Is it possible to have adult roosters neutered? And will this stop them from seeking the hens? OR would it make more sense to clip their wings so they can’t fly over the fence and put themselves in harms way? Will they get so frustrated that they can’t go to the chickens that they wander off in a round about bad direction trying to get there? If you clip the wings, how often do you have to do it?
Thanks!

I have a board certified avian vet near me and I had discussed having my cockerel neutered. She told me it’s not commonly done because the testicles are high and deep in the abdomen, near the aorta. It’s a difficult surgery and is very risky. She also said if it is to be done, it should be done when they are very young. not sure about the answers to your other questions though. Perhaps at some point you can build them a run so they are contained. I would think if they can get to the area where your hens are, even if they can’t get in to them, that could causing fighting among the roos.

Back
Top Bottom