Roosters?

jcbil

Hatching
Jul 2, 2016
Hi all,
I've been lurking on these forums since getting my three chicks back in April (They are 4 months now) and have gotten some great information. This morning, I heard one of my chicks start to crow. I feel confident we have one rooster, but now I'm worried about the next largest one- the Buff Orpington. I'm posting a few pictures-The smallest one there is about two weeks younger than the other two and is much smaller. I hope this one is a hen. Not sure about the buff, Has had a comb & wattle for a few weeks now, but it's not growing as quickly or is as bright & red as the australorp's. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Welcome to BYC! I can't see the hackle or the saddle very well on the buff, might it be possible to get better pictures?

This picture is a couple weeks older, Does this help? If not I'll have to try to get some better ones.

This picture is a couple weeks older, Does this help? If not I'll have to try to get some better ones.
It helps very much. I'd be shocked if this was not a roo.... :( See those shiny feathers? That's a roo thing. -Banti

I'm sorry to hear about your Roos! I'm culling my flock now too. Of the 8 new birds we got 3 roosters. It's so hard to tell until maturity. And the variations between breeds only makes it more complicated.

I'd agree looks like you've got 2 Roos. Better do something with them before the fight that's no fun at all.

Back
Top Bottom