Roosters

jaywin

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hi all
I have a young cockerell with my young mixed breed flock - all hatched this year He is about 4 months old
I then have another cock I’d like to keep who is only 2 months old Currently the younger one is in with 5 pullets who all hatched together, in my nursery coop
Soon I will be merging the two flocks and I do this by having them in a run in with the others so they can see each other and sectioning off a part of the big coop so they all roost together but can’t actually get to each other. I’ll leave them like this for approx two weeks then take down the section and smaller run so they are then all together. It works well and they then all free range in an orchard
If I include my younger cock in this plan when I merge the pullets into the flock do you think they will be ok. I don’t want him to get bullied by the older one too much once they merge. The older one is an Australorp and so far is friendly and the younger one a speckled Sussex
I have enough room for two Cocks and the hens when they are out free ranging but will they ever be happy sharing a coop? it’s big enough for 50 birds but I will have only 30.

Hi thank you
I think they may be ok as both breeds are supposed to be friendly.

Depends on individual temperments. I have a 7 hen flock with 2 males that gets along decently and a 9 hen flock that has 4 males but only the older male is allowed to breed. He'll chase the younger ones that try to catch a hen.

Some males get greedy and don't like other males being in sight, some don't really care

Depends on individual temperments. I have a 7 hen flock with 2 males that gets along decently and a 9 hen flock that has 4 males but only the older male is allowed to breed. He'll chase the younger ones that try to catch a hen.

Some males get greedy and don't like other males being in sight, some don't really care
Thank you. They are both friendly breeds so hopefully will be ok. I’m going to give it a go and keep a close eye on them for a few weeks.

It might work, and it might not. Really won't depend on the breed, but rather the birds involved. Sometimes one is quite surprised who won't let it go. Being friendly or nice to you or people means nothing, being raised together means nothing.

It will just depend on the two roosters, you might get lucky. I would expect your to get lucky because there is a lot of birds, and a lot of space. Not that the flocks will split into those are your hens, these are mine...although some hens will show preference for a certain rooster.

Good luck.

Mrs K

It might work, and it might not. Really won't depend on the breed, but rather the birds involved. Sometimes one is quite surprised who won't let it go. Being friendly or nice to you or people means nothing, being raised together means nothing.

It will just depend on the two roosters, you might get lucky. I would expect your to get lucky because there is a lot of birds, and a lot of space. Not that the flocks will split into those are your hens, these are mine...although some hens will show preference for a certain rooster.

Good luck.

Mrs K
Hi thank you.
will give it a try as the alternative for the speckled Sussex is dispatch as it is impossible to get them homes he is advertised on a rehoming site but never have much luck with those and I would rather dispatch him than him have a poor life. I always worry some unscrupulous person will take them to train fighting cocks with so vetting new homes is essential for me. I will give it a good shot and hopefully they will all be ok but as you say it will depend on their individual nature and you can’t do much about instinct, in every other way it’s what makes chickens so interesting and entertaining
Thanks again and I will let you all know how it goes. Won’t be for a few weeks yet though.

Back
Top Bottom