Roosters..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by somissemilyy, Jun 7, 2011.

1. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    This is my first time having roosters. Can anyone describe to me some of the behaviors you've seen them do, if you have them?

I don't understand what it means when a rooster does this little dance thing when he shuffles, and a noise kinda like a soft cackle that he makes..

But other than that, they are pretty funny birds to watch! [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The wing dance is him wooing the hens, the cackle is him calling them to food he's found. If he wing dances you, then he thinks he's above you. (ie, you are a hen)

Roosters have tons of different vocalizations. Alert calls, alarm calls (louder and more intense), growling (warning to intruder), purring (happy sound).

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What Happy Chooks said. [​IMG]

I love watching my Roos! This morning I heard a rooster sweet-talking a hen inside the not-yet-done coop (which I plan to move with me) and when I opened the door to see what was up, I found Bartholomew (huge Black Jersey Giant) in a dresser drawer nest box with Molly the Black Australorp. She jumped out and left through the chicken door, and he gave me such a look! Wish I'd had the cell phone with me to snap photos..

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Here's a pic of my roo doing a wing dance:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by