Roosting Advice

Clousic Chicks

Songster
5 Years
May 20, 2015
Spokane, Washington
Our four youngins' have been in with the two 2 year-olds for four weeks now. There was the natural bullying from the two big mamas but everyone was staying in the coop. Two hens had their tail feathers systematically pulled out while in the coop. One has been been laying now for two weeks so it didn't affect her too much. Then all of the sudden last week, I found all four young ones on the roost in the run! I think they are afraid to go into the coop. I put them in the coop once it is dark and the big mamas have settled in for the night, but that is getting old real fast.

We have a few thoughts on this...1) wait it out--keep putting them in the coop each night after dark, hoping they will eventually just go in again on their own. 2) Lock the big mamas out of the coop for a few nights and let the young ones stay in until after I have let the mamas out of the run in the morning. 3) Let the young ones just stay on the roost in the run overnight and hope they will want to go in to the coop eventually. Or 4) Any suggestions?

BTW, the run is very, very predator proof.

Thanks!

It would be nice to see some pictures of your coop or at least some measurements. Total size if coop, roost measurement, breed of chickens?
Run Door Closed.jpg
End of Chicken Coop.jpg
End of Chicken Coop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom