Young cockerel

JFF12

Chirping
Sep 4, 2022
I have a young cockerel that has roosted with his brothers, sisters and mama since they were old enough to get on the roost (along with his aunts and papa). The past few nights I’ve noticed he’s bunked up in the other coop with the other flock and he’s sleeping on the ground. The first night I picked him up and took him back to his flock/coop but he was in the same spot tonight (in the other coop) so I left him. There’s plenty of roost space in his coop. He’s about 12 weeks. Any idea why the sudden change? And why he’s sleeping on the ground instead of on the roost? There’s plenty of roost space in both coops.

He may have been drummed out of the coop of his papa....and maybe not allowed onto the roost in the other coop(show lives in there?).

I have a young cockerel that has roosted with his brothers, sisters and mama since they were old enough to get on the roost (along with his aunts and papa). The past few nights I’ve noticed he’s bunked up in the other coop with the other flock and he’s sleeping on the ground. The first night I picked him up and took him back to his flock/coop but he was in the same spot tonight (in the other coop) so I left him. There’s plenty of roost space in his coop. He’s about 12 weeks. Any idea why the sudden change? And why he’s sleeping on the ground instead of on the roost? There’s plenty of roost space in both coops.
He may be showing he's ready to be the man of the flock. No more hanging out with Mama.

I am encountering a similar situation. Mama was roosting with her 4 twelve week olds - 2 pullets & 2 cockerels. Last night and tonight, she is stepping away from them and re-establishing her place in the flock - near her rooster. This leaves the kids vulnerable to the other hens, and having to work out their place in the pecking order. They took the submissive stance, 2 pullets are roosting just outside the door (in the covered and secured pen)
while 1 cockerel is on the low roosting bar, the other on the floor. I will raise the low bar (just a few inches off the floor for the chicks still with their mama) and see if that helps.
I suspect it's just part of the chickens natural pecking order establishment & nothing to worry about, but if possible try to keep an eye out at bedtime to see what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom