Roosting and eggs

xjonesy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 13, 2009
Utah
Two quick questions:

1) How long until chickens lay eggs? I have 6 4-month old hens and none have laid eggs yet. Is 5-6 months about normal?

2) I have a roost about 12" off the ground inside the coop, but none of the chickens roost on it. They all sleep huddled together in a corner of the coop every night. They are 4 months old and the temp only gets to about 55 at night here -- they shouldn't be cold. Is this normal behavior??

Thanks

There's a lot of variation in when they will lay. Some breeds take much longer than others, and some individuals in a breed take longer than others. What breed are they?

What is the roost made of? Maybe it is not comfortable for them.

They're RIR and Plymouth Rock...sex links I think.

The roost is just a long piece of wood I bought at Home Depot -- it's 2 inches thick (square) and is about 4 feet long. They're feet/claws are more than large enough to hang on to a 2 inch stick...and the corners are rounded, not sharp.

Last edited:
Chickens don't like to hold onto a roost, they like a flat surface to rest on. The wide side of a 2x4 is just right. I made my roost like yours before I joined BYC. When I read that, I added a second board to make it the right width.

They should be about ready to lay. Their combs will turn redder just before they start.

Back
Top Bottom