Roosting Bar in Coop and/or Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Magnolia7330, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Magnolia7330

Magnolia7330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2016
    Northern California
    I just finished painting my coop and will soon begin building my run. Do my chickens need a roosting bar in the coop? How about the run? If there is one in the coop how high off the floor should it be. I will have 4 chickens. I am getting a welsummer, australorp, easter egger, and a meyer mealmaker. I am planning to use a 2x4 for the roosting bar if one is need inside the coop. Thanks for the help.

2. rbreininger

rbreininger Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    SW Wyoming
    To give a decent reply we really a few details about your coop, like it size. LxWxH.

I am new at this also and have seen roosting bars at all kinds of heights but everyone says they should be above the height of the nesting boxes but not over them.

3. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Yea you definitely need roosting bars inside the coop because that is where they sleep. You don't need roosting bars in the run and I'd be afraid they'd try and sleep there instead of the coop if given an oppurtunity.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    One is certainly needed in the coop, and they will enjoy one in the run also. As to height, as rbreininger suggests, just make sure that the roost is higher than the nest boxes, otherwise they will sleep in them. With heavier breeds, high roosts have greater potential to inflict foot / leg injuries - something to be aware of.

5. DeYoungs

DeYoungs Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    good point that is sometimes overlooked.

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Inside the coop you'll want roost bar space roughly equivalent to 12" per bird. Ideally they will all sleep on the roost bar. Height is mostly up to you, just keep in mind how they'll get up and down as well as location of ventilation and nest boxes in relation to the roost placement.

Out in the run, a roost bar is optional but chickens do enjoy some vertical space, so it is a nice bonus to have some sturdy branches, a swing, even a stump or something else like that that they can get up on.

7. Magnolia7330

Magnolia7330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2016
    Northern California
    I am such a dork! I went and looked in the coop again and looked up (above the nests) and there are two roosting bars already in there. I guess I didn't think to look higher than the nest boxes...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by