roosting bars

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ldemmert, Nov 8, 2008.

1. ldemmert

ldemmert Out Of The Brooder

What diameter shoud the roosting bars be? I have barred rocks. Should it be smooth or can I use a tree with the bark still on? BTW The tree died because I cut it down, not from disease.

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    We have used and still are using tree limbs. We also use some long skinny boards that we bought from Lowes. Any thing will work. Be creative!! [​IMG]

3. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    I have a 1 1/2" limb for my banties.
    I have a 2 - 2 1/2" limb for my standards.
    You will see them on either.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I use a 2 x 4 with the wide side up for a roost. It's wide enough that in the winter they sit on their feet/toes and help keep them warm.

5. 1brahmamama

1brahmamama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Washington
    Old wooden broom handles work great.

6. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i have a 2 x 4 I think with flat side up, held up with those metal corner shaped shelf brackets. I had read that if they can sit on top of their feet and toes they will keep them warm. I think the limbs will work as long as they are a large enough diameter.

7. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 2 x 4's now to help keep their feet warm at night. Before that I had 2 x 2's.

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I had 2x2 and switched to 2x4 so their tootsies will stay warmer. I also think my chickens look more comfortable on the wider roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by