Roosting help!

matty1237958

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 6, 2013
I am in the process of designing a new coop and was wonderign about the roosting. Right now i have a ladder mounted horizontal. The bad thing about this is that the dominent hens are pecking the weak ones backs and behinds while they sleep! I was hoping somebody could help me describe a way i could do the roosts so they dont all peck each other while sleeping! Pictures would help too! Thanks so much!!!

I am in the process of designing a new coop and was wonderign about the roosting. Right now i have a ladder mounted horizontal. The bad thing about this is that the dominent hens are pecking the weak ones backs and behinds while they sleep! I was hoping somebody could help me describe a way i could do the roosts so they dont all peck each other while sleeping! Pictures would help too! Thanks so much!!!

What are the dimensions of the new coop going to be? How many birds will it house? Asking as the use of a "stacked" sort of roost arrangement is often used as a space saving measure - since a simple solution to the issue you are seeing is to have roosts be at one height or in long, linear arrangements that would be an easy suggestion, but only if it is one that would work within the confines of the space you will have available and the number of birds you need to provide roosting space for.

What are the dimensions of the new coop going to be?  How many birds will it house?  Asking as the use of a "stacked" sort of roost arrangement is often used as a space saving measure - since a simple solution to the issue you are seeing is to have roosts be at one height or in long, linear arrangements that would be an easy suggestion, but only if it is one that would work within the confines of the space you will have available and the number of birds you need to provide roosting space for. 

I was thinking of a 4x16 raised coop, with 6' of 3 level roosts on one side and 6' on the other and 4 feet in the middle for food and ect. Hope that makes sence and thanks for the help

Last edited:
Spread the roosts further apart, so they can't pick at each other from one roost bar to the next. The roosts below are 2X4"s, 30"s high, on 20" centers. They want to mess with each other they have to jump from roost to roost. Also, make the roosts so they are easily removable. Comes in handy on cleaning day. The roosts below are sitting in notches, can be popped out of there in seconds.

900x900px-LL-c236d30b_55557_img_1365.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom