Roosting in the coop??

15chickiemama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Ok so we put little roost in the brooder and they slept on them all the time. Now they are in the coop and we have 2 roost in there. The one is about 1 ft off the floor and the other is 2 ft. Off the floor. I tried putting them up on them but they don't seem interested. Do I need to teach them or will they just do it on there own?

They should do it on their own when they are ready. My brooder raised chicks usually do not start to roost until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. They prefer to sleep huddled together on the floor. They play on the roosts during the day but are not ready to sleep there.

Others report different results, either earlier or later. None of them are that consistent. I personally would not worry about it.

Mine have been doing the same thing. They are 7 weeks. They roosted all the time in the brooder, but will only play on the roosts in the coop, not sleep there.

I put mine in their coop a little over a week ago and just noticed this morning that they are finally using their roosts....I think it just takes time.

Newbie here with 2 week old chicks. We put a would stick 1"x1" in the brooder about 4" from the floor. They all get on it. Some sleep for short periods on the roost.

Back
Top Bottom