Roosting in the Run and Not the Coop!

The ad did say 14 at one point. I have seen it before on here.

I do not think it is big enough for even 7 birds though.

They are as vague as possible in giving the actual coop dimensions. That has been a long time frustration as well.

When you get time take a tape measure to the coop. Do not include the nest boxes as usable floor space. Those are for egg laying not standing or walking around in.

The ad did say 14 at one point. I have seen it before on here.

I do not think it is big enough for even 7 birds though.

They are as vague as possible in giving the actual coop dimensions. That has been a long time frustration as well.

When you get time take a tape measure to the coop. Do not include the nest boxes as usable floor space. Those are for egg laying not standing or walking around in.

I just realized you are brand new to BYC. :welcome

It's a great community full of helpful folks. I do hope we can figure out why they are sleeping in the run and in the nest boxes.
Yes I'm brand new! It's so wonderful to have a resource from experts. I've only had chickens for a year and a half, it's certainly a learning process. I'll provide dimensions and pictures tomorrow. Many thanks!

I will measure it out tomorrow, I appreciate the help!
Get some pics of the inside too!

4 are new to the flock this year
When did you add them, how old are they now, in weeks or months?
How old are you older birds?
Guessing the youngers are not integrated yet and may not be 'allowed' on the roosts.

Yes, Welcome to BYC! @KimberK8
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606321165569.png

Thank you! I've updated my profile, I'm located in upstate New York and the nights (and days) can get cold. I will provide pictures of the inside of the coop as well as the dimensions. I've been brainstorming on adding or changing around the current root bars. But I'll share it first for suggestions.

It is a pre-fab. There are 4 roosting bars about 2' long.

Just going by roosting bars it's way too small - you have 8', you need around 14'. Even more for integrating new birds as the older birds will chase them off. Not sure if you have space for additional bars (they need to be at least 12" apart and 12" from wall, with sufficient space to land in front of it).

Going by the stock photo, if that run is 10x10, then coop is what... 3x5? 4x6? Your capacity in the coop is only 4-6 birds if my guess is close.

Measured the coop and took a couple pics. The coop inside is 2 feet wide with 4 roosting bars. The roof if pitched at 44" at the highest. I have 5 roosting boxes but they lay their eggs in one or two boxes only.

Attachments

• 20201127_083751.jpg
    20201127_083751.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201127_083702.jpg
    20201127_083702.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom