Roosting in the Run and Not the Coop!

KimberK8

Hatching
Nov 24, 2020
Upstate New York
My Coop
My Coop
I have 12 chickens and 4 are new to the flock this year. Three of them insist on roosting in the run and not in the coop. With the temps at night getting cold, I've been putting them in the coop myself. Why won't they join the others in a toasty coop? Is it OK they stay outside?

The run is not around any trees to break the wind, open all around but it is safe from predators. Currently we are falling into the low 20s at night, but it will get colder into the winter (single digits).

Under those conditions, it is probably better for them to learn to sleep inside.

They lay their eggs in there, I just don't understand why they won't shelter there. Wondering if I need to train them to go in there at night?

Yes, you might need to train them to go in.

But they might feel to crowded in there, which is why I asked how big it is (in feet, or in centimeters or meters if you prefer). The people who state how many chickens can live in a coop seem to assume very small chickens, so it may not be big enough for the ones you have even if it was "rated for" a certain number.

12 chickens, the coop is rated for 14 chickens and the run is 10 x 10

How many feet each way is the coop?

With the temps at night getting cold... Is it OK they stay outside?

Maybe.

Is the run safe from predators? Sometimes that is a bigger issue than the weather.

They certainly need shelter from rain, snow, and wind while they sleep. So a roofed run that has trees nearby to block wind is much different than an uncovered run in the middle of a grassy field.

How cold is it? If you don't know the exact temperature, then does their water have ice in the morning? Is there snow on the ground?

Chickens can be fine below freezing, but the colder it gets the more shelter they need from heavy winds. Fresh air is good, wind is not.

It is a pre-fab. There are 4 roosting bars about 2' long.

Just going by roosting bars it's way too small - you have 8', you need around 14'. Even more for integrating new birds as the older birds will chase them off. Not sure if you have space for additional bars (they need to be at least 12" apart and 12" from wall, with sufficient space to land in front of it).

Going by the stock photo, if that run is 10x10, then coop is what... 3x5? 4x6? Your capacity in the coop is only 4-6 birds if my guess is close.

KimberK8 I have the same coop, at 7 chickens it seemed a little crowded, I had 3 that would sleep under the coop in the run until it started getting colder at night. I extended the coop, I'll attach a photo here, it almost doubled the inside space and I now have 8 chickens who happily sleep in it.
I took the same external dimensions and extended it down to the gate. The floor is just open, no additional nesting boxes, with a cutout allowing access to the lower level. I still need to add a roost, but I have a couple floor sleepers who are happy perching on a 2x4 set on the floor.

Attachments

• 20201119_172511.jpg
    20201119_172511.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201119_172450.jpg
    20201119_172450.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 5
The ad did say 14 at one point. I have seen it before on here.

I do not think it is big enough for even 7 birds though.

They are as vague as possible in giving the actual coop dimensions. That has been a long time frustration as well.

When you get time take a tape measure to the coop. Do not include the nest boxes as usable floor space. Those are for egg laying not standing or walking around in.

Measured the coop and took a couple pics. The coop inside is 2 feet wide with 4 roosting bars. The roof if pitched at 44" at the highest. I have 5 roosting boxes but they lay their eggs in one or two boxes only.

That is indeed quite small.

I am wondering how hard it would be to add at least another 2' in width (the direction the roosts are running) and follow the existing roofline. I would move nest boxes to one end 90° position from what they are now and extend the mod all the way to the end of the run. That would make it roughly a 4x10 coop. Again though that would only fit 10 birds but the run already is only sized for 10.
It would maintain the look of the coop while making it more functional.
If your gate is next to the coop on the same wall can that section be moved to the opposite side of the run?

I would suggest drawing it out on graph paper to scale so you can plan for the new set up as well as clean out doors and more ventilation.

I think you forgot to put the full measurements in your post but going by looks it is roughly 2'x4'. My starter brooder is that size. That is very tiny.

Last edited:
Knowing the measurements of the coop or seeing pictures really will help us troubleshoot with you.

There are tons of reasons birds choose to sleep in the run.

Back
Top Bottom