Roosting in the Run and Not the Coop!

Knowing the measurements of the coop or seeing pictures really will help us troubleshoot with you.

There are tons of reasons birds choose to sleep in the run.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201124-223757_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201124-223757_Chrome.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 11
The ad did say 14 at one point. I have seen it before on here.

I do not think it is big enough for even 7 birds though.

They are as vague as possible in giving the actual coop dimensions. That has been a long time frustration as well.

When you get time take a tape measure to the coop. Do not include the nest boxes as usable floor space. Those are for egg laying not standing or walking around in.

Measured the coop and took a couple pics. The coop inside is 2 feet wide with 4 roosting bars. The roof if pitched at 44" at the highest. I have 5 roosting boxes but they lay their eggs in one or two boxes only.

Attachments

• 20201127_083751.jpg
    20201127_083751.jpg
    669.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20201127_083702.jpg
    20201127_083702.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
You did a great job! And the paint matches perfectly from the photos! I think an addition is a must, I have 13 overall - 12 hens and one Bantam rooster (Tractor supply mistake) but he's cute! Do you live in an area where it gets into the single digits in the winter? Do you use a great lamp? I didn't my first winter and they seemed fine. The lamps make me nervous.
This is our first winter, I have a CozyCoop radiant heater, I'm thinking it will be safer than a bulb. The weather totally depends on the year, we'll typically get one or two cold weeks, staying below freezing during the day and teens at night then several weeks of freezing nights with high 30s to 50s in the day, but some years we hit low single digits for a few days. I used the radiant heater a few nights early this spring and it kept the coop warm.

The run is not around any trees to break the wind, open all around but it is safe from predators. Currently we are falling into the low 20s at night, but it will get colder into the winter (single digits). I'm afraid they don't know they are able to roost in the coop at night. They lay their eggs in there, I just don't understand why they won't shelter there. Wondering if I need to train them to go in there at night?
I'm having the same problems with mine they will go in to lay eggs but not sleep I'm in NC so it hasn't gotten to cold yet

Back
Top Bottom