Roosting issue

INChicken

Hatching
Feb 24, 2023
So we used an old barn to mark a coop, there is a 6-8" ledge around the whole coop about 24" off the ground (foundation of old barn). I built a nice roost with 2x4's, however the chickens refuse to use the roost they just chill on the ledges all night long, they're only 17weeks, will they eventually use the roost I built or should I block off the ledges and kinda force them to use the roost that is made?

1688645782229.png

Hard to tell from the photo, but the spacing on that ladder roost might be the first problem (ones at the top would be fine and everyone else will be dodging falling poop, if the spacing is too close). Also, nice ladder to the ledge, but not to the ladder roost.

Might be better, to do a standard roost on both those walls, lead to the corner, at an appropriate height. Then the ledge gives you a handy starting point for setting up a poop board.

^ I like the idea of using the ledge to help support up a poop board on top - uses the ledge and effectively covers it up as well.

It's a nice looking roost set up though (I'd check to make sure bars are at least 14-16" apart, but if they're not even getting on it then closeness of bars isn't the issue), just seems your birds oddly like the ledge even though it's a lot lower. :D

What breeds do you have? Are they capable of flying? How many do you have?

What do you see as the benefit of them roosting on your roost as opposed to where they want to roost? What makes it worth the effort and work of getting them to roost up there? If it is worth it to you, then you can go out every night after dark and move them to the top roost to train them to sleep up there. They should eventually get the message.

Back
Top Bottom