roosting - what should I do ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dee Dee 2, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Dee Dee 2

Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I have 12 chicks in a pen. Two roost 14 " off ground, 2x4 's layed flat. 6 J.G.'s, 3 R.I.R. , 3 Buff. Hatched END OF APRIL. They are STILL bunching in a pile in a corner at night. Have tried picking them up and putting on perch. It is comedy hour. Put 2 up one jumps down. Usually on top of the pile. Put one on roost 2 jump down. HELP ! I think I have roost dificit chickens.

2. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol I,m doing something similar at the moment but I,ve found the later I go into the coop - once they are pretty much asleep and it's getting pretty much dark, the higher my success rate. Its a battle of wills, hang in there ! :D

3. Timskins

Timskins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Surprise, Az
    How old are they? If they are bunching together at night still could they be cold?

4. iheartnh

iheartnh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2013
    Derry, NH
    Mine did the same thing - they would all crowd together just inside the door of the coop, so that when I would go out at night to close their hatch, they would fall out. I made it impossible for them the lie there - used scrap wood and some bricks we had, placed at odd angles so they couldn't get a foot hold or comfortable in that spot. They took care of the rest themselves - when I went out that first night, they were all on the roost.

5. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    My group that hatched 3-1 just graduated to the perch at night so not uncommon for them to still be sleeping in a pile on the ground at 4 months.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Why worry about it? It's like toilet training a toddler, they'll roost when they're ready. It's not a problem to sleep on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by