Roosting

We have plenty of roosting space for all 10 girls and the little girls go to with no issues then I let the big girls in and they take their sweet time get a drink and feeding and seems to long and the lights go off before they all roost. If I leave the light on longer they terrorize the little girls and its WAY to much drama before bed. So I could leave the light on longer but I would like them to work it if possible.. was just wondering if it's a bad thing for the big girls to sleep on the floor.
There's your answer then. The older hens don't go up because they can't see the roost after the light goes out. And if the light stays on, there's "drama" because the older hens are trying to exert their dominance and kick the young ones off the roost and/or claim the best spots. Why do you need to have a light on? It's summer, it's bright enough without a light. Keep the light off permanently and let their eyes adjust naturally as the sun sets and it gets dimmer and dimmer. If you've had a bright light on and it suddenly turns off, the difference between light and dark is sudden and exaggerated and your older hens are suddenly blind. If they have time to adjust to the natural dimming of sunlight, they can time their roosting better and start getting up there earlier, as opposed to having a bright light thinking they have more time to eat and mill about, waiting for the "sun" to set. Keep the light off and let them figure it out.

Guess my flock disagrees. I let them manage bedtime themselves, so currently my chicks go in first, take top roost, then the younger adults (2 yrs) go in, kick them all off (lol), then the older adults mosey in, get on the roost and get settled, and then the chicks try to squeeze in between adults if they can. Some days they do, other days some are stuck with the lower roost.
My babies are only 3 weeks old so that probably plays into it. I'm still having to physically put them in and I think they would jump right out if the big girls were still running around.

mine all go in at the same time littles bigs ducks geese turkeys I have 2 higher roosts 2 lower roosts and up and down nest boxes I have some that roost and some that sleep in the nest boxes

Attachments

• 20200710_204231.jpg
    20200710_204231.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200710_204236.jpg
    20200710_204236.jpg
    477.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200702_132028.jpg
    20200702_132028.jpg
    996.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom