Roosting?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by McCord6, Oct 3, 2009.

1. How old would be good to start teaching the chicks to roost? (am I spelling that right?). Should I go ahead and put a few sticks in the brooder cage for them to start learning now? They are 1 week old now.

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Yes. A piece of drift wood is nice. Think jungle jim for chicks. LOL Gloria Jean

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I have a pair of antlers in with mine. It's a jungle gym [​IMG]

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    I started mine with a piece of 2x4 in the bottom of the brooder. At first i had shavings to the same height. After a couple of weeks i added another 2x4 on top of the first thus raising it above the shavings.

5. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Quote:Wow, that's a great idea; I never thought of that!

6. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Right now they are launching themselves off the highest spot and dive bombing each other. I have the antlers turned point side down. The crawl all around the points, have little games of chase under them.... Only roost for a few minutes at a time though.
    After they get done with them I'm sure the dogs are going to find them even more chewable [​IMG] Chick poo flavored chew toys. [​IMG]

7. buddy#2

buddy#2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Perry County, PA
    You can put a roost in any time you want. A chickens instinct tells them when to roost. Some times one chicken will roost and the others will soon follow. Usually not till they are around 5 or 6 weeks will they try to roost. I had 11 all huddle in a small shelter I made during the winter. When it warmed up they started to roost. They are not stupid, its warmer in the shelter all together than up on a roost.

8. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Quote:Oh yeah, ANYTHING chick poo related is yummy to my silly dogs, too![​IMG]

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have two roosts in the chicks brooder and one in their coop.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by