Roosts for Chicks?

Here is a little thing i threw together for my guys! about 2 ft of roost space for my 9 to get them introduced...they still sleep on the ground, but hang out and play on the roosts....
idunno.gif

I put a small roosting bar in the brooder for my 3 1/2 week-old chick yesterday and they're afraid of it. They just huddle together in the coolest part of the box even though it's cooler than recommended for their age. Trouble adapting to change, I guess.

I put a small roosting bar in the brooder for my 3 1/2 week-old chick yesterday and they're afraid of it. They just huddle together in the coolest part of the box even though it's cooler than recommended for their age. Trouble adapting to change, I guess.
I would worry less about what the experts recommend, and more about how the chicks are acting, it could be that they truly are too hot, and are not interested in going over there where the heat is. At three and a half weeks, they almost don't need artificial heat anymore, depending on how well they have feathered out, and whether they are inside or outside. Of course, it could be something else, but I just wanted to offer you a heads-up, in case you hadn't considered it.

Our chicks are about 2 weeks old now and my husband put two dowel rods in the brooder at least a week ago. Works great. Everyday I see someing new up on the roosts looking over his/her domain.

When I first brought my chicks home I gave them a little wooden ladder thing designed for parrots. They seemed to like wrapping their feet around that, I had it lay on the ground. At two weeks we moved them up to the dog crate, and my husband put dowels (broom handle sized) in for them to roost upon, which they took to immediately. When we moved the chicks to the dog crate we also gave them something like this
The grass cave-thing, not the bunny. As I am typing this, five of the six three-week-old chicks are in the cave. Awww, it's like a basket of fluff!

i received these chicks from a friend that had to many chicks.It has been along time since I have had any. They are now in our coop and a few have died. a few of the butts have no feathers and look red and sore. They almost look as though they are moulting. They have partial feathers and partial yellow fuzzy fluff. I have dusted coupe and bedding with diatemacious earth. any suggestions?

I would worry less about what the experts recommend, and more about how the chicks are acting,
Thanks for the advice. Actually I've been keeping the temps at the lower end of what's 'recommended' assuming it wouldn't harm them but might encourage feather growth and get them used to the less-than-ideal temperatures they'll get outdoors. Some of them have finally taken to their new roost.

Back
Top Bottom