Roosts????

Country by marriage

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2017
Ok so this might be dumb question, however I have always been told that the roosting poles need to be round so that the chickens feet can wrap around it. So we find long tree limbs that are the right size in circumference for their feet and long enough to fit on out mounts. The thing is I have been looking at the coops and I have not seen any round ones, just looks like maybe 2x4 or smaller. So I take they do not have to be round. Suggestions??

:frowHi! Welcome to BYC!

You'll get all kinds of answers today!

Originally my roost was a two level removable freestanding type made of 2x4's with the part where they actually put their feet being the smaller side.

My husband came up with an ingenious design, so I could still remove it for deep cleaning of the coop but it is MUCH more stable. And now just one long stretch. (Don't think a mile long lol , I only have 6 girls!)

Not sure exactly what this piece of wood was meant for because I picked it up from a dump pile where a house was being built, but it is very solid 3x3? and doesn't flex like the old one did.

We hand-sanded it very smooth and rounded the edges off just a bit. ( also by hand)

They seem to be very comfortable on it and it's sturdy enough to both grasp with their footies and settle down on.
Now when one of them shifts or turns around, it doesn't disturb the others.

*also it is untreated wood.
I've read that presssure treated wood isn't good for chickens to touch.

I have both. They use both. I used old pallet wood, the supports between the top and bottom. The wide side up for them to sit on. They found the rafters on their own and generally sleep there. It's 4x4.
I added branches to go from rafter to lower perch to ground. (I tried to stop the rafter roosting but they jumped for it anyway. So instead of having them injure themselves I let them use it.)

Last edited:
It is my understanding that chickens like to sleep flat footed. It's more comfortable for them and helps to keep their feet protected and warm because they can sit on them. I use sanded 2x4's for their inside coup roost; with the flat side facing up.

I also have a very large rounded natural branch on the outside run as well though too, and they perch on that during the day time.

It is my understanding that chickens prefer to sleep flat footed. It's more comfortable for them and helps to keep their feet protected and warm because they can sit on them. I use sanded 2x4's for their inside coup roost; with the flat side facing up.

I also have a very large rounded natural branch on the outside run as well though too, and they perch on that during the day time.

Same as I have...:wee

Like everything to do with chickens you can get a lot of different opinion on this. People may state reasons why they like one way or another but it’s basically opinion.

I once switched roosts, using tree branches, 2x4’s flat, and 2x4’s on edge. Mine like certain areas of the coop (all things equal near the window is the prime roosting spot) and they like to roost on the highest spots available so I took that into account and really switched them up. My conclusion was that people care about the shape of the roost much more than chickens do. I encourage people to do a similar test, taking into account that some spots are preferred and they like higher spots. Draw their own conclusions.

Some people argue that a chicken’s foot is made to grasp a round tree branch so round is essential. Some argue that a chicken’s toes don’t bend so they can’t grasp, they just balance, so a flat surface is best. I saw one where someone said chickens did not evolve to roost, they evolved to sleep on the ground so they need something flat. Some of these discussions can get pretty heated.

Some argue that a chicken needs something flat so their feathers can cover their feet when they sleep. I use tree branches and 2x4’s on end. When my chickens settle down to sleep in cold weather they fluff their feathers and their feet disappear. But my winter temperatures don’t get that cold, usually just a few degrees below zero Fahrenheit.

If you provide something round some people will think you are great and really love your chickens. Others will think you are abusing your chickens. If you provide something flat some people will think you are great and really love your chickens. Others will think you are abusing your chickens.

My suggestions are that you use wood for your roots, not metal or plastic. Wood is a good insulating material, metal or plastic are pretty good conductors and can wick heat away from their feet, increasing the risk of frostbite in weather below freezing. If you use sawn lumber like 2x4’s, I suggest you sand off the corners. That’s not so much to make it easier for their feet to grasp the roost but to remove splinters. I don’t have a suggestion on shape, in my opinion they all work.

Back
Top Bottom