rose comb roosters for sex link crosses?

Kenneth Flippen

Songster
10 Years
Jan 3, 2010
What options do I have on roosters with a rose comb to prodoce sex link chicks I have SLW hen I'm looking for another as well as 2 black barred hens with rose combs

Thanks
Kenneth Flippen

With your SLW hen, you could use a Gold or Partridge Wyandotte rooster to get a rose combed red sex link.

With your Black Barred hen, which I would guess is a Dominique, you could use a Columbian, Partridge, Gold Laced, or Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster to get a rose combed black sex link.

This assumes you want the offspring to be pure for rose comb.

If you are happy with the offspring not being pure for rose comb but to have a rose comb, you should be able to use an appropriate single combed rooster with those hens. My understanding is that a single combed rooster means that it does not have a pea or rose gene. If either a pea or rose gene is present, then it won’t be a single combed bird.

Combs are not my strong suite. I understand that with a chicken split for a pea comb (a pea combed chicken crossed with a single combed chicken), it is quite possible the comb is not exactly a pea but could have a bit more growth than a pure pea. It would not surprise me if something similar happened with a chicken split for rose. But a Wyandotte rooster should work.

GLW roos over SLW Reddish looking pullets just like regular red sex links and roo's will be silver with gold leakage. They will most likely be laced.

GLW over barred. Pullets= Black with gold in the neck area and roos=barred. These will be like black sex linked chicks.

For the black sex link with the Dominique hen, the pullets should be solid black and the roosters should be barred. It is very possible, even probably, that you would get some red leakage around the neck on the pullets and maybe a little more general red leakage on the rooster. The down color should be solid black, with the just hatched males having a white spot on the head. The newly hatched females should have a solid black down.

The red sex links are a little harder. I’d expect the adult hens to be gold but with a black laced pattern and the adult roosters to be a sort of off-white (I think it is kind of rusty white looking) basic color but also with a black laced pattern. The newly hatched chicks down should be reddish for the female and yellowish for the male, but I’m not sure the exact shade to expect. I’d think the difference would be pretty clear, especially if they are side by side.

Assuming that the Silver Laced Wyandotte is pure,
Crossing her with a Single Comb Rhode Island Red rooster would result in the offspring being all Rose Comb.

You could also cross her with a Rose Comb Rhode Island Red.

Chris

I crossed a RIR Single comb Rooster with White Wyandotte hens (Rose comb). Here are the results:

1. Roos have yellowish to white down with Rose Comb (as predicted from there mother)

2. Pullets are light red in color with a single comb (as predicted from there father).

Remember, when breeding, Roos take on mothers characteristics and pullets take on the fathers characteristics.

I also crossed a RIR Single comb Rooster with White Orpingtons (Single Comb). Here are the results.

1. Roos are gray with some white, with a wide dark gray patch (Like a wide stripe) down there back and on each side of this wide stripe a smaller stripe also dark gray.

2. Pullets are really beautiful - light reddish down with a wide dark brown stripe down there back with a smaller dark brown stripe on each side of the wide Stripe. (Like the gray stripes on the roos, only dark brown on the pullets), (all chicks both roos and pullets have single comb).

Hope this helps.

Paul

Last edited:
Quote:
2. Pullets are light red in color with a single comb (as predicted from there father).

That would tell me that your White Wyandotte hen/s are not pure for Rose Comb. (Combs are not Sex-linked)

Pure Rose Comb is Dominate over pure Single Comb so when you cross Rose Comb with Single Comb all F1 offspring will be Rose Comb.

Chris​

OK so I have found a Dominique hen and a gold laced wyandotte rooster but he is out of BLRW stock will he still produce sex linked offspring with the Dominique hen and the SLW hen

Thanks
Kenneth

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom