Rose Neighland, dingy, nuts, or blind?

cluckin in memphis

Hatching
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Memphis, TN
So, Sophia Petrillo apparently had enough of Rose's St. Olephff Stories. They were fighting, I should say, Sophia was beating the poo out of Rose. Rose's Comb was injured and bleeding, so I put her in confinement. She seemed better this afternoon, just her comb was a bit pale, I figured from the injury. I put her back in with the other girls, but she just paced around walking into and over things and other chickens and seeming really off balance. She finally laid down in the corner under the hen house with her head tucked as far into the corner as she could. Last I checked she was still there and alive. I am just wondering if the fight may have caused blindness, her eyes seem clear and uninjured. The other girls have managed to just stay out of her way and no more fighting as of yet. I was worried that Sophia may have just lost it and I may have had to get rid of her, but she has calmed down to a level more calm than before the incident (Sophia is the smallest and most obstenant of the girls) I have tried getting her to drink, but she has not yet. Thoughts?
sad.png

Jimmy dad of 6 golden girls(Buff Orpingtons), 2 Americanas (Idggie and Ruth) and a bewildered little mutt named Tobey.

Update: I think she is blind. she is pacing along the fence with her beak just hitting the netting, like she is feeling her way around. Sophia started in on her again this morning, so Rose is back in confinement. She is just standing with her head in the corner just as far as she can stretch it. Her Color looks better, but other than that, ? Thoughts? Advice? :|

Since her eyes appear fine it could be due to a brain injury. I would give her some time for any swelling to go down. Give her a week of quiet and see what happens.

to update:
Rose is in her own pen. She is still uneasy, falters when she walks, unbalanced. She drinks some water, but is not really eating. The pacing has slowed, not as frantic, but she still keeps her beak to the fencing, almost to steady herself. She laid an egg 2 days ago, but nothing since. Physically, she appears fine, but the wobbly walking and the beak to the fence are pretty odd. I cannot tell of there is progress, or if she is slowly dying. If she makes a recovery, I am going to give her to a friend who has a school, they have bantams that are scared of everything. I am scared that if I put her back in with the other girls, she may get killed. Of course, thats only if she recovers.
hmm.png

I think she's got brain damage...
A new home might be the best kindness for her.
If she IS permanently blind, you'd have to keep the food and water dishes in the same place all the time.

Rose seems to be doing a lot better, she still isn't eating much. But most of the oddness is gone, she still paces, but it isn't frantic, and she isn't holding her beak to the fencing anymore. I think she may recover, if she'll eat something.

Back
Top Bottom