Rosecomb Thread

Pics
I picked this trio up a few days ago. I was told they were rosecomb bantams and after some other's advice discovered their color to be wheaten. I've done some research and I've noticed my chickens have alot of flaws when I compare them to the breed standard. The comb surface on my rooster is a little rough and it lacks the spike. The comb on both my hens is almost invisible. Also the earlobes are way off the mark with all 3. They are lacking the round, flat, and white lobes. I attached a picture. It's not the best as they are in the carrying crate I brought them home in. I'm going to get better pictures of them this weekend in their coop.

My question is are they possibly mixed with another breed, bad stock, or just young and still not developed? I'm very aware that these are not show quality. I'm just curious if I sold a few chicks this summer how I would label them. I'm wanting to incubate a couple rounds of both chicken and duck eggs (separately of course) so that my son can experience it. Thanks!!

I picked this trio up a few days ago. I was told they were rosecomb bantams and after some other's advice discovered their color to be wheaten. I've done some research and I've noticed my chickens have alot of flaws when I compare them to the breed standard. The comb surface on my rooster is a little rough and it lacks the spike. The comb on both my hens is almost invisible. Also the earlobes are way off the mark with all 3. They are lacking the round, flat, and white lobes. I attached a picture. It's not the best as they are in the carrying crate I brought them home in. I'm going to get better pictures of them this weekend in their coop.

My question is are they possibly mixed with another breed, bad stock, or just young and still not developed? I'm very aware that these are not show quality. I'm just curious if I sold a few chicks this summer how I would label them. I'm wanting to incubate a couple rounds of both chicken and duck eggs (separately of course) so that my son can experience it. Thanks!!

these look similar to the bad mixed genes of my rosecomb cock mating to my game hens. he was quite the ladies man, especially with the larger ladies.. lol

Last edited:
Yeah I'm really leaning toward the idea that they are mixed. There are so many flaws. I will probably keep them anyway, just as pets. I need to do ALOT more research before purchasing any more chickens. I only paid $25 for all 3 so at least they were cheap :)

Yeah I'm really leaning toward the idea that they are mixed. There are so many flaws. I will probably keep them anyway, just as pets. I need to do ALOT more research before purchasing any more chickens. I only paid $25 for all 3 so at least they were cheap :)

This is a great example of why I always tell people to do some homework before buying birds. There are always dishonest sellers eager to take advantage of people's ignorance. Sorry but these are really terrible birds. IMO $25 wasn't very cheap for these birds. If you lived near me I'd give you a trio of Black Rosecombs from Rick Hare's bloodlines just 'cause I feel bad about how bad you got ripped off.

This is a great example of why I always tell people to do some homework before buying birds. There are always dishonest sellers eager to take advantage of people's ignorance. Sorry but these are really terrible birds. IMO $25 wasn't very cheap for these birds. If you lived near me I'd give you a trio of Black Rosecombs from Rick Hare's bloodlines just 'cause I feel bad about how bad you got ripped off.
those mixes could be best broodies for eggs you could send.. was told on here that many really bred out show rosecombs were terrible broodies and would let chicks die, so to use mutts or OEGBs to hatch and raise rosecomb eggs and chicks. ill hopefully get someone to send me some at least decent quality just basic black rosecomb hatching eggs. only half, to dozen and a half, so i know at least two pullets will come out of it.

Well I won't lie, I was terribly excited on my drive home, after purchasing these 3. I honestly thought I had some real "treasures." I was even told by the seller that I could show one of the little hens because she was of such good quality. I can't be upset though. I suppose this is just as much my fault as anyones. I should have researched first. Even for my own untrained and rookie eyes, after just a simple Google search, it was so obvious that this trio had some major issues.

I've thought alot about it and over the last few days I have read alot about this little breed and I'm honestly in love. I think I should find a quality breeder that ships and order me some rosecomb bantam chicks. I'm thinking I should rehome the rooster I have now and one of the hens. Then I can keep one of the hens I have now, if found to be broody, just to help raise future eggs. I do also have ducks so I can place one of my smaller swedish duck eggs in with the hen to test her broodiness. This would be a great little project for my son to do for the 4-H Organizaton.

Does anyone know a respectable breeder of rosecombs, which also ships either eggs or chicks? I want to go with the black rosecombs. They are absolutely gorgeous. I did get on The Rosecomb Bantam Association but there was only one breeder listed for the state of Kentucky.

Thanks everyone for your honest input!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom