Rosecomb Thread

Pics
PG, they are very nice. If I had to pick apart.. I would say you could aim for wider feather and a larger lobe (this is always an improvement on any bird) but, they are probably young.. lobes may grow more. His tail is HUGE! I really like the curve of the sickle feather. I also like how Patterson's birds have a more gentle sweep on the back and not the "V" that many judges are opting for now. I am a "U" back kinda girl and they are harder and harder to find. I cannot see her face well. I like a delicate head and dainty comb with a sweeping upward point on my girls.

I am working on the hind end right now so I kept back some girls with less than perfect combs but, who had super long tails. I will get some pics of mine up soon. I bought a male from Patterson a few months ago. I wasn't super pumped about him at first but, he's growing up a bit more and looking good. I also love his personality. He's laid back and gentle with the girls and not as yappy as previous boys. I know a lot of breeders do not ad behavior into the equation but, all traits pass on to some extent.

And, Charlie.. keep me in mind for a top knotch pair this season. .. a pair that it almost breaks your heart to sell! lol

PG, they are very nice. If I had to pick apart.. I would say you could aim for wider feather and a larger lobe (this is always an improvement on any bird) but, they are probably young.. lobes may grow more. His tail is HUGE! I really like the curve of the sickle feather. I also like how Patterson's birds have a more gentle sweep on the back and not the "V" that many judges are opting for now. I am a "U" back kinda girl and they are harder and harder to find. I cannot see her face well. I like a delicate head and dainty comb with a sweeping upward point on my girls.

I am working on the hind end right now so I kept back some girls with less than perfect combs but, who had super long tails. I will get some pics of mine up soon. I bought a male from Patterson a few months ago. I wasn't super pumped about him at first but, he's growing up a bit more and looking good. I also love his personality. He's laid back and gentle with the girls and not as yappy as previous boys. I know a lot of breeders do not ad behavior into the equation but, all traits pass on to some extent.

And, Charlie.. keep me in mind for a top knotch pair this season. .. a pair that it almost breaks your heart to sell! lol
Thanks Msbear. This pic was when they where about 10-11 months old. The pair is now 2 yrs. I will try to get an updated pic soon. Then hen does have that nice "U" back a=with a great tail. Charlie took these birds out of the breeding pen so if he thought they where good enough to breed they should be good birds lol. The cock has some nice wide feathers moulting in. Around 2 inches. I hope she starts laying soon;would realy like to set some eggs. She laid one on sunday. What feed would you recomend to feed them? I have been feeding them pigeon mix(16%) with all kind-a grain and pellets.

Thanks

Hey guys, I have decided to show the pair at the greensboro,NC show next week. Any advice-tips to get them into condition? I will be washing them monday but anything else?

Thanks

Already got 16 eggs. Ill be setting them saturday. How long do eggs stay fertile if turned everyday in about 60 degree temps?

Thanks

Already got 16 eggs. Ill be setting them saturday. How long do eggs stay fertile if turned everyday in about 60 degree temps?

Thanks

They stay fertile forever. However, viability drops off sharply after 10 days in storage.

@Pouter guy,
i know who to hit up for good eggs now, when and if I'm ever in a position to be able to keep these beloved cheekenz as i called my beloved chuckles, and his OEG mix young (a splash show rosecomb competition winner aquired while "owner" was in jail.

Last edited:
I dont sell hatching eggs but I would let go off some pullets and cockerals this late fall-winter depending on what i have got. So why are you not able to have rosecombs?

Thanks

Eh, just trying to start being responsible, and told my hobbies engross me enough as is. Everyone keeps telling me to try to make money off what i have, keeping only and getting into what would make most. i spent my last tax return on thousand dollar rabbit breeder racks, that i keep my parlor rollers, Birmingham rollers (two are fifty foot rolling hens, rest thirty foot rollers), coop tumblers, flying flights, and german blood racing "white dove release" homers. i have Chinese owl pigeons I'm downsizing. id downsize my D' Uccles (porcelain and millie feur) but meantime love the colors and not sure why neither, lvender or cream, are not in rosecombs. i have completely free range bantam Americana, they're my med colorful egg layers, tick ect hunters, and alarms. then i have newer gotten khaki Campbell ducklings. also fav of all my beloved muscovy ducks, four or fI've extra drakes that need to be dressed for freezer camp. yup written out it does seem incredibly insane, but I'm disabled living in southeastern country, only good or remotely productive thing people enjoy out here are critters. most of those only a pair of each kind, except Chinese owls, parlors, rollers, Americanas, khaki campbells, and "scovys".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom