Roster attacked by dog

mk20

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
Hi guys, about 5 days ago my neighbors dog got into our chicken coop and attacked the rooster and some hens. Fortunately all of our hens look okay and healing well. Unfortunately, our rooster seems to be doing worse. There are no open wounds, just a lot of missing feathers and scratched skin on our roosters wing area. The bleeding stopped the day of the attack. He was walking around, just more timid than usual but yesterday he was just laying down all day. Today when I checked he was standing but only on one leg.

I usually do not care for the chickens because they are my dads, but he has been out of town. Not sure what to do to help our rooster survive. Any recommendations would be helpful!!

Did you check the leg for breaks? I'm not sure but @aart is it possible this guy was acting somewhat okay out of adrenaline from the attack? Could he still be in shock? I've heard they can be treated for shock. But I'm not 100% sure how so I don't want to inform you wrongly.

I would make him comfortable sitting up with some rolled towels. Offer him water, and electrolytes or some Gatorade would help. Mix a small amount of chicken feed with water to make it mushy, and offer it to him. Is he warm enough? He could have internal injuries. Getting him to drink would be very important.

Back
Top Bottom