Rotten little Hen.

22ChickenNuggets

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Hello fellow chicken parents!

I have an EE hen (she looks nothing like my other ones) but I have an issue with her. She’s absolutely rotten. She’s not with the other girls she’s pretty low on the pecking order. But she’s rotten with me. She will literally come up behind me and bite the living crap out of me. I mean no reason. She gets aggressive with me when I pick up, pet or even look at any other bird. I have bite marks all over my legs because of her. Plus she’s a free loader. All my other EE’s are laying she’s not. They are 5 1/2 months. What should I do with her? I’ve picked her up and carried her around. I’ve talked sweet to her, I’ve even tried “pecking” her back. It’s come down to I have to bring a broom in to just keep her away from me. She’s just plain ROTTEN! She’s alway been the weird one in the group. I don’t see why should would take on a roo role, I have a roo. Out of 21 layers 1 roo, she’s the only one who acts like this. What am I doing wrong? I’m tempted to make her live in the house with me for a week.
1CDB6369-9B75-4F3E-BAC2-869CE5725E99.jpeg
8E3919C1-83E7-40F0-BDCA-D45A78B29CA5.jpeg

Pretty bird. Seems to me many EE are not as docile as suggested, or maybe there are simply more posts about the bad eggs (no pun). As I was reading, before the pics, I was expecting a roo. Is she hormonal and coming into lay late? If it were me (to each their own) I would give her another month and if she's not laying by then and behavior continues take assertive action. For me that would mean stew pot. Good luck to you.

Pretty bird. Seems to me many EE are not as docile as suggested, or maybe there are simply more posts about the bad eggs (no pun). As I was reading, before the pics, I was expecting a roo. Is she hormonal and coming into lay late? If it were me (to each their own) I would give her another month and if she's not laying by then and behavior continues take assertive action. For me that would mean stew pot. Good luck to you.
From what I can see I have 5 EE’s and only getting 4 eggs. So one isnt laying and I suspect her. She may be hormonal. But she’s rotten to the wrong thing, being me.

Do what you do with a Roo so they know who is in charge... chase her with a switch, give her a few light smacks on the bum, walk away and if she follows you do it again till she understands that YOU are the top hen.
I actually have never had to show my Roo who’s boss. He’s pretty docile. But I have picked her up, pecked her back, tapped her butt. She’s just a jerk.

Hello fellow chicken parents!

I have an EE hen (she looks nothing like my other ones) but I have an issue with her. She’s absolutely rotten. She’s not with the other girls she’s pretty low on the pecking order. But she’s rotten with me. She will literally come up behind me and bite the living crap out of me. I mean no reason. She gets aggressive with me when I pick up, pet or even look at any other bird. I have bite marks all over my legs because of her. Plus she’s a free loader. All my other EE’s are laying she’s not. They are 5 1/2 months. What should I do with her? I’ve picked her up and carried her around. I’ve talked sweet to her, I’ve even tried “pecking” her back. It’s come down to I have to bring a broom in to just keep her away from me. She’s just plain ROTTEN! She’s alway been the weird one in the group. I don’t see why should would take on a roo role, I have a roo. Out of 21 layers 1 roo, she’s the only one who acts like this. What am I doing wrong? I’m tempted to make her live in the house with me for a week. View attachment 2768173View attachment 2768174
She sure is pretty! IMO I'd find her a new home. I don't do drama, not in my own life and not in my flock. I like to be able to enjoy my ladies😉

Back
Top Bottom