Rouen Duck thread

Pics
We started with 3 day old Rouens a year ago. After 2 early losses we had 8 beautiful mature ducks, 4 drakes 4 hens. In Jan they started disappearing. They live on our pond and go in a shelter at night but not locked in. We live adjacent to a National Forest so we suppose it is a predator like coyote or fox. Over the last 2 months they were picked off one by one until we have 2 hens left and we are trying to keep them more safely at night. There was no evidence of struggle, no feathers around, just disappeared.
We are very heartsick about it. We are wondering if Rouens are more prone to predators because they are heavier and don't really fly? I am not sure we can keep ducks where we live without penning them up for their safety. Since ducks don't roost it is harder to lock them in for the night. Any help or thoughts?

My rouens go into the coup every night on their own. They don't roost but they know what time of day to retire, and they settle into the hay in there. They don't fly well, but the girls can get off the ground about 3 feet and fly 60 or 70 feet.

Last edited:
We started with 3 day old Rouens a year ago. After 2 early losses we had 8 beautiful mature ducks, 4 drakes 4 hens. In Jan they started disappearing. They live on our pond and go in a shelter at night but not locked in. We live adjacent to a National Forest so we suppose it is a predator like coyote or fox. Over the last 2 months they were picked off one by one until we have 2 hens left and we are trying to keep them more safely at night. There was no evidence of struggle, no feathers around, just disappeared.
We are very heartsick about it. We are wondering if Rouens are more prone to predators because they are heavier and don't really fly? I am not sure we can keep ducks where we live without penning them up for their safety. Since ducks don't roost it is harder to lock them in for the night. Any help or thoughts?

Not much else you can do but lock them up at night! There is many predators out there, not only fix or coyote. Even eagles or crows and raccoons or bobcats can make them disappear! And feathers blow away or get used by other nesting animals to build their new nest. Sorry for your loss

I have 3 different breeds of ducks... Rouens, Khakis, and white layers. The Rouens and layers are about 7 months old. Today I got a wonderful greenish/blue duck egg! It is the first one of this color... well, maybe there was one or two with a faint hint of this color but not nearly as dark as the one today. Could this be from a rouen?

I have 3 different breeds of ducks... Rouens, Khakis, and white layers. The Rouens and layers are about 7 months old. Today I got a wonderful greenish/blue duck egg! It is the first one of this color... well, maybe there was one or two with a faint hint of this color but not nearly as dark as the one today. Could this be from a rouen?

As far as my Rouen, that is all they lay. Nice greenish blue colored eggs. I heard they're not that usual, so I guess consider yourself lucky!

I think yes, Rouens can lay blue eggs, Altho mine only lay white eggs. Nice and round too.
smile.png
I have 3 Rouen ducks and one drake so I may have a couple that lay white eggs as well.

As far as my Rouen, that is all they lay. Nice greenish blue colored eggs. I heard they're not that usual, so I guess consider yourself lucky!
I love the color. Are yours always about the same color or does it change? I am hoping maybe more than just one will give me that color.

my ducklings will be here wednesday and i am soo excited! i ordered five rouen ducks and a drake and five pekin ducks and a drake from metzer farms and i am driving my husband crazy does anyone have metzer farms rouens? would love to see some pics!

Back
Top Bottom