Rough mating or worse?

Ducksndogs

Chirping
Oct 7, 2022
My Khaki Campbells have recently joined the Anconas and seemingly overnight Quigley seems to have taken a big hit.

The Anconas I received back in July and are around 6-8 months old. The Khakis are 2.5 months old. The introductions were choppy at first but the group really seemed to gel before I let them stay in the coop. Now after being in the coop for 5-6 days Quigley has feathers missing from the base of her neck near her wings and on the back of the head. No others have this going on.

I am concerned she is being over-mated even though there is another female. Or she is being targeted because she is smaller than the more mature female.

What should I do? Is that actually signs of rough mating or is she getting nibbled on by something in the night? She’s the only one with the missing feathers.

Attachments

• D4644CB0-9727-4A51-A949-EDFB7B800EF1.jpeg
    D4644CB0-9727-4A51-A949-EDFB7B800EF1.jpeg
    619.6 KB · Views: 13
  • D5991545-1419-4D5A-A932-353D55CAFB50.jpeg
    D5991545-1419-4D5A-A932-353D55CAFB50.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 85151B3E-58CD-4823-8A3E-BCA40A49C258.jpeg
    85151B3E-58CD-4823-8A3E-BCA40A49C258.jpeg
    422.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DC04BAAF-F0FC-49C8-BB21-98F6ED477C4E.jpeg
    DC04BAAF-F0FC-49C8-BB21-98F6ED477C4E.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi, and Welcome!

She's very young to be in with the older ducks. That definitely looks like she's being picked on, to me.

Put her in a dog crate or something similar at night, to prevent this happening.

How many ducks do you have, and what are their genders? Also, how big is the coop they are in? What are they being fed?

Hi, and Welcome!

She's very young to be in with the older ducks. That definitely looks like she's being picked on, to me.

Put her in a dog crate or something similar at night, to prevent this happening.

How many ducks do you have, and what are their genders? Also, how big is the coop they are in? What are they being fed?
I have 4 ducks. 2 Anconas male and female. 2 Khakis both female. The night quarters are about 90sqft. The whole barn is about 500sqft. They eat dumor duck feed and free range.

I have a door that I can close to separate her from the others at night. So, I will do that.

Do you know what the protein percentage is in the food? I've heard that sometimes ducks will pick at another's feather for extra protein, although in this case, I'm pretty sure she's being bullied.

I would suggest maybe keeping both of the younger ones separate overnight, if that's possible. Since they seem to be okay during the day. Sounds like a nice set-up! I need something like that over here! :D

Do you know what the protein percentage is in the food? I've heard that sometimes ducks will pick at another's feather for extra protein, although in this case, I'm pretty sure she's being bullied.

I would suggest maybe keeping both of the younger ones separate overnight, if that's possible. Since they seem to be okay during the day. Sounds like a nice set-up! I need something like that over here! :D
It's generally the flight feathers with blood in them that are taken for extra nutrition. There wouldn't be much more than keratin in the feathers on the back of the neck.

I think the two young females should both be separated from the drake at night.

Ok, I will go out and get the dog carrier today and get that set up in the night pen.
The protein is at 17% and they get lots of treats (not too many but enough).

It’s the strangest thing bc they are inseparable during the day and will quack like mad when I take one away from the group. Even the first couple of weeks of introductions they would make a ruckus when it was night time and everyone had to go to bed.

Definitely will be keeping a closer eye on them.

He may be raping them and they are way too young.
crates are great for keeping them safe and with the rest of the flock but you'll need to keep them from getting raped during the day too. They need to be laying age anywhere from 4 months up before the drakes can mate with them.

*UPDATE*
I know its been a few months since I posted this initial question but felt like sharing what worked and didn’t for my ducks.
-She did not use the dog crate and would not go in it willing. It wasn’t a safe haven she could run into.
-I kept the oldest drake in the coop isolated for 2 - 3 weeks. When he returned to the flock he wasn’t as aggressive but she is still treated like the odd duck out.
She is now laying and he seems to “tolerate” her for the most part. I guess some personalities just don’t mix. Even her “brother” who I got with her (hoping for more hens but took a gamble at TS) keeps his distance.

Thanks for all the insight!!

I have a special needs pekin drake, Ping, who is bonded with one of my three muscovy drakes. Ping is loud and in your face bossy although he is a tiny, thin boy who runs away after provoking the other drakes. He hasn't learnt in 2 years not to annoy the muscovy who put up with a lot, but after shouting at them, Ping will stand and pull out their chest feathers. Once provoked enough, all three muscovy -- even the one bonded with Ping -- will bite him or worse. Ping has to sleep in a dog crate for his own protection [I leave him to run away and hide during the day]. Ping doesn't necessarily take himself into his dog crate -- although he sometimes does. When using a dogcrate to protect a duck from bullying, you will generally have to put the duck in the crate each night -- either by shooing in or picking up and putting in.

It's only after some time sleeping in the crate, that a duck will recognize it as a place of safety.

[My muscovy that is bonded with Ping, roosts atop Ping's dog crate. I put a wooden shelf or an extra plastic tray on top of the crate so that he doesn't poop on Pingy. They like it that way even though there are other high roosts in the duck house. Such interesting behavior!]

I am glad that your ducks are now in a somewhat easy peace. Temperaments and loyalties change. Keep your dog crate available in case someone needs to go in it a night again! I have also had to put drakes that are bullying others into a dog crate at night [the one that is bonded with Ping has times when he is not nice to the other drakes and he has to be in a dog crate not roosting on top of Ping. It gets a little crowded with dog crates at times! Last summer I had to have three dog crates as I had two rescued pekin drakes that needed to be separated from the other drakes as well as Ping in his crate. Fortunately the two pekin rescues have been rehomed now, and my most recent muscovy addition gets on fine with my flock!

Attachments

• 20220610_193338.jpg
    20220610_193338.jpg
    690.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom