Round worms

pame5duff

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 24, 2012
Michigan
I am sure this has been addressed. I found a round worm in some poo this morning after my girls left the roost. What is the treatment for worms. I know there are many different kinds but all treatments available for worms does not seem to include dosage for chickens. I bought ivermectin but I am hoping for advice to make sure this is the safest and best treatment. Thank you everyone!

I recommend Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer or Safeguard liquid goat wormer.
Dosage for Valbazen is 1/2ml given orally to each chicken using a syringe without needle. Redose again in 10 days.
Dosage for Safeguard is 0.25ml per pound or 1.25ml for a 5 pound bird given orally to each chicken using a syringe without a needle. Redose birds for 5 days straight.

Preload your syringe without a needle with the liquid wormer. Have someone hold the hen for you. Then pull straight down on her wattles and her mouth will open. Quickly administer the wormer in her mouth and immediately let go of her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. If you dont let go of the wattles right away, she could aspirate. Do this with all your birds. If one bird has worms, the others will most likely have them also.
Do not administer more than 1/2ml at a time due to possible aspiration.

Practice a dry run without actually dosing a bird. You'll get the hang of it.
Putting liquids in bread doesnt work well at all. The bread falls apart or another bird steals it or the bird wont eat it.
It's best to worm orally as I mentioned, that way you know they got properly wormed, no guesswork about it.

It's best to worm birds early in the mornings before sunrise, before they eat. Snatch a chicken off the roost and worm her, then release her. Then get another and continue until they are all wormed.
Worming your birds before they eat is very effective in eliminating worms. The birds are starving in the mornings, so are the worms, feed them the wormer. It'll get rid of them for sure. Then wait about an hour or two before feeding your birds.

Back
Top Bottom