Roundworm Treatment

Arnolds2638

Chirping
Nov 3, 2020
Intown Atlanta, GA
I have confirmed roundworms in one of my chickens. I assume I treat the whole flock. No one acting ill. I have fenbendazole in two forms: safeguard dewormer for goats oral solution and poultry dewormer 5x capsules. Do I give it directly to each bird? The liquid seems easy to give, but a capsule? several of them only 4 months old. Repeat again in 10 days??

Is this the poultry dewormer you have?
https://www.jefferspet.com/products...MI-_n0jffb9AIVCidMCh08qgJOEAQYASABEgKUU_D_BwE

The poultry dewormer should have directions, and yes you give it directly into the beak or put in a tiny bit of food or egg. This one is low dose, so it needs to be given over several days. It will not treat capillary or gapeworms at this dose, I don’t think.

The liquid goat wormer, shake it well, and give chickens 1/4 ml per pound of weight daily for 5 days. If you give it once and again in 10 days, it will treat round worms only. If you give it 5 days in a row, it will treat all worms except tapeworms, which are less common.

Is this the poultry dewormer you have?
https://www.jefferspet.com/products...MI-_n0jffb9AIVCidMCh08qgJOEAQYASABEgKUU_D_BwE

The poultry dewormer should have directions, and yes you give it directly into the beak or put in a tiny bit of food or egg. This one is low dose, so it needs to be given over several days. It will not treat capillary or gapeworms at this dose, I don’t think.

The liquid goat wormer, shake it well, and give chickens 1/4 ml per pound of weight daily for 5 days. If you give it once and again in 10 days, it will treat round worms only. If you give it 5 days in a row, it will treat all worms except tapeworms, which are less common.
Thanks. Interesting that the instructions only mention one dose and then the repeat in 10 days. Where the 5 days in a row come from? I took the sample to vet. So I know it’s just roundworm.

Thanks. Interesting that the instructions only mention one dose and then the repeat in 10 days. Where the 5 days in a row come from? I took the sample to vet. So I know it’s just roundworm.
Well the reason it (fenbendazole liquid goat wormer) is sometimes given for 5 days in a row, is to treat capillary (threadworms,) which are hard to treat and can be harmful. Also gapeworms, which are rare, require at least a 3 day treatment. But roundworms only requires treating once, and agian in 10 days to get the newly hatched worm eggs.

Well the reason it (fenbendazole liquid goat wormer) is sometimes given for 5 days in a row, is to treat capillary (threadworms,) which are hard to treat and can be harmful. Also gapeworms, which are rare, require at least a 3 day treatment. But roundworms only requires treating once, and agian in 10 days to get the newly hatched worm eggs.
Thanks. Different answers everywhere you go. Also hard to make heads or tails of the capsule vs the liquid. Capsule dosage 6.7mg total) is very small relative to the 20-50 mg/kg dosage I have seen recommended. So doesn’t make sense!

Back
Top Bottom