Roundworms?

KateD1980

Hatching
Jun 7, 2016
PA
Not sure how this site works yet, so sorry to get right to my question. We have 6 free range laying rhode island reds. One of the chickens (not sure which one) had round worms in her excrement. We have only seen one pile with the worms and have since separated them from each other in separate cages until we can figure out the culprit. My question is, can we eat the eggs that I have collected over the past few days? Is it possible for roundworms to be transmitted to humans and other animals (we have a dog and 10 rabbits also.)
Any help would be much appreciated!!! I have three dozen eggs I would hate to throw out, but am scared to eat them!!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! I would not say it's impossible for worms to transfer to the eggs, I have seen it ONCE, but I can assure you it's very, VERY unlikely. Have you started deworming your hens yet? If one of them has a heavy enough infestation for it to show in her droppings they've all got it by now… sorry! Here is some more information on deworming your flock:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/internal-parasites-parasitic-worms-in-chickens

At the bottom of that article are some links to threads on dewormers. There will be about a 2-week withdrawal (i.e. deworming residue) in the hens' eggs, but unless you are allergic to any ingredients in the dewormers, they'd be perfectly safe to consume. I have always eaten the eggs I got after deworming my flock and I've not had a problem with worms yet
wink.png
Do not incubate the eggs though, as the residue can have a very bad effect on the developing embryo.

Deworm the flock as per the instructions given on your chosen dewormer, wait 10 days and deworm them again to make sure you got any new ones that hatched since the first treatment.

Good luck!

The chickens have had one dose of the dewormer. It's my understanding that after 10 days we can start eating the eggs again. Is it accurate that they only need one dose? I put 1tsp. in one gallon of water. After that was empty I starting giving them regular water again. Some things I have read say to repeat the dewormer again after 30 days. I have read several different things but seems every site says something different.

The chickens have had one dose of the dewormer. It's my understanding that after 10 days we can start eating the eggs again. Is it accurate that they only need one dose? I put 1tsp. in one gallon of water. After that was empty I starting giving them regular water again. Some things I have read say to repeat the dewormer again after 30 days. I have read several different things but seems every site says something different.

I have Wazine 17. It says 1 oz (4-6 wks of age chicks) for 1 gallon water, 2 oz (6wks +) per gallon. If you need me to read it word for word let me know. There are different instructions for different fowl.

Edit-- as corrected below it is 1 oz:1 gal for 4 wks and older chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom