Roux Dilute/Egyptian Coturnix Quail Discussion Thread

I'll take a new picture of my silver boy when I get home. He's grown one black spot on his back. It's really cute.

I totally do want more pics of him :ya

But I think the two silver-type females he came with are this gene, specifically, while he's a more traditional silver (I should make their page next!). I also might still have good pics of the girls.

I totally do want more pics of him :ya

But I think the two silver-type females he came with are this gene, specifically, while he's a more traditional silver (I should make their page next!). I also might still have good pics of the girls.
One of the girls is a tannish silver, the other is a pale red. I'll get pictures of them too.
Edit: The tannish silver looks just like the silver pharoh from this link that TexasKiki shared.

Now muddy says she was nuts when she said that but I still think there's a 40% chance she was subconsciously on to something.

I had one pair that was silver[confirmed roux carrier] x Italian that produced some.

I had another one that was silver-diluted Italian x roux produce some.

It either came from the silvers or the roux.

Silver + roux?!

Someone must find out.

This is the silver male and one of his girls. The third picture is the other girl that came with him from @CoturnixComplex . You can see the black spot on his back.
0927191443a.jpg

Attachments

• 0927191443.jpg
    0927191443.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 0927191443b.jpg
    0927191443b.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 30
Except
This is the silver male and one of his girls. The third picture is the other girl that came with him from @CoturnixComplex . You can see the black spot on his back.
View attachment 1919530

:eek:

She turned way red in the sun! She was silver/tan when I gave her to you I swear lol.

Now I really REALLY think they're the same.

Calling all silver pharoah/tan silver/feather-sexable silver owners!

@Texas Kiki @Sara L @el dorado quail @Nabiki and maybe also @muddy75 and @mixedUPturk ?

Apparently, there's a good chance this is the same gene as roux dilute.

What I need from anyone willing to contribute:

1. Pics! Post all of your pics.

2. If any of you have a silver pharaoh type male you can pair with a few hens and do an isolated hatch with, do the resulting offspring all follow the pattern of lighter = female and darker = male?

3. Do your reddish roux types ever produce silver types? Do your silver types ever produce reddish roux types? Report your findings!

:frow im sorry id been taking a break so im late But silvers. :he Thats a pain in the neck gene! :barnie ! Im not 110% sure of Whats going on with those things in my yard :rolleyes: so im sorry i wont be much help as far as reliable Information. However...

#1 pics? Yes, yes ma'am i can do that!

#2 test hatch... hummmm. If only theyd show me some foam already :barnie. My lucky 13 hatch july 25th had 6 silvers. One escapee and now i have 5 @ 9 wks. Their father was a lighter colored silver. He was a jerk and went to my tummy. Was a late bloomer :rant vent sexed and said he was a hen as he showed me no foam. Still cannot determine his youngin's :barnie one is laying-- still no foam :he 4 are dark blue pharaoh pattern 2 are light silver one of those is a great ex of tux. so :fl that your right cuz i love them blue things and that silver tux would be pretty neat. Inbreeding shouldnt pose any issue this round as last round the hens were all pharaoh under silver roo one hen from my old JMF meat makers hatch 2 and the silver from the local yokel to all keep the lone remaining JMF hen company. So yes i think ill do it.

#3 I dont have any reddish roux types left the only 2 i hatched were males that couldnt stick around. Was a unique collection box so have no idea of genetics.

Oh, @James Marie can probably confirm or deny this in a wink if he feels like chiming in during some of his (extremely spare) downtime :D But I also like puzzles.
The Roux gene is more complex than most think. I've been working with a geneticist for over a year now and he was so disappointed in the quality of Roux Dilute available in the states that we were able to source new stock from France. The best Roux available in the states was from the old line Dana with Shady Hollow Farms use to work with. The plumage color was much much darker than what we see now available. We tried finding someone in the states with the darker plumage and was not successful. The line I had from Dana was used many times over the last 10 to 12 years to produce sex link hens for egg production and feeder birds for zoos. It also had diluted plumage so we completely culled the line. It was replaced with the new line from France. My genetic friend claims what came into the states with the German Pastel import has plumage dilution due to the crossing that was done with the Fee gene. The Roux he is working with in our Coturnix project "Coturnix Varieties & Standards" from France is pure and never crossed with anything. I'll post pictures of the plumage over the weekend.

Roux?

I know I keep asking but I'm asking because it hasn't clicked yet. View attachment 1922728
For the past couple years I was told by another Master Breeder this was a "Lavender Roux" - Then I was asked by geneticist if it was from the Scholfield Silver import or the German Pastel import - I told him the German / he said looking at the plumage he feels it's a " Roux Diluted Lavender" but testing was needed to confirm his opinion. He does currently have that cross being compiled in his lab. He is also working with the fee gene and Roux to see the results. BUT - he feels strongly it's a " ROUX DILUTED LAVENDER" so until he proves otherwise I'm going with his opinion.
He sent me this also - this may help you understand the Roux gene.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/91bb/728f5c090cf60454b6ff9d5a026ec5695f93.pdf

Back
Top Bottom