Royal Palm Tom sick

Blueicebird

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Watkins Glen
I am new with turkeys and I have a royal Palm Tom who is lethargic, not eating, pooping yellow and drinks very little. His wings are drooping and he lays down alot. He keeps his head curled in and doesnt talk much anymore.

Is there anything I can do? Any common disease? He is at little over a year old. I have him in a kennel covered with a blanket and fresh food and water.

While we are trying to figure this out, you have to hydrate him and make sure he eats. Get some electrolytes in him ASAP. Scramble him some eggs and give him some yogurt if you have any. How long has he not been eating? You will have to hand feed him and give him water.

What are the temps in your area? Any other animals exhibiting the same behaviors? What does his eyes, beak and nose look like? Any crust anywhere? Any bad breath? Are his eyes puffy or swollen? What does his breathing sound like? Rattled chest?

A picture might help, too.
hugs.gif

Heres the down-low :)

Tom has decreased his appetite for about 5 days. Yesterday I noticed he just didn't even care about food. I noticed the yellow poo when his appetite decreased. There is no raspy breathing that I can hear, but I'll check tonyte when I bring him into the tub for a warm cleaning.

He has a thirst so I keep his water full and fresh. There is no crustys on his eyes or beak, but I do believe his nose is running.

The temp is cold and snowy. No other birds are ill. Not even his girl "mama." He lives with her akd 13 chickens and 4 ducks.

I dont have a sick photo, only a healthy one now. Will take one tonyte.

Thanks guys!! You're always a major help!!

I will also force some eggs and yogurt in him tonyte too. He's lost alot of weight.

You will need to feed him as often as possible. Once a day will not be enough. In addition to his sickness, he will starve to death.

Being as though we have no idea what is wrong with him, we will have to talk you through this to see how we can help him.

Do you have any meds on hand? Do you have any local feed stores that you can go to to get some meds once we figure this out? Your tom could have a bacteria infection but not sure.

Do you have pics of his poop?

Do you have any avian vets of Vet Schools nearby where you can call them and talk to them over the phone? I'm sure they would charge you a fortune to bring your tom but that is an option.

No vet schools. And no poop photos. Snow covered it. It was runny and loose. He ate a few pecks of bread this morning and he was talking some too. Hoping it was a minor cold and he's feeling better. Would cooked rice be good for him too?

No vet schools. And no poop photos. Snow covered it. It was runny and loose. He ate a few pecks of bread this morning and he was talking some too. Hoping it was a minor cold and he's feeling better. Would cooked rice be good for him too?

Well, they really don't get "colds". They get respiratory problems if that's what you mean. You can feed him cooked rice but you really need to get something more into him. Can you scramble some eggs and give to him?

Back
Top Bottom