Royal Palm Tom Stolen

cowdogcadillac

Songster
10 Years
Sep 23, 2009
41721_turk.jpg

Been free ranging all my birds the last month. 6' chainlink fencing around 1/2 acre. He'd Never leave his girls and I can't find a feather from a struggle. He was mean too. I have to figure someone saw him strutting as they drove by and then hopped the fence and took him. Too big for a coon,bobcat or owl without serious feathers and blood.

It's tearing me up because he was my breeder and dissapeared during the daytime. Wierd huh? Shoulda had a game camera out there but honestly he was so protective I didn't think anything would happen to him.

I've lost 20 chickens over the years but this is a first

ep.gif
The nerver of some people, i hope you get to the bottom of this and find out who took him.

I am sure if he is near by you will hear him, i would post adds everywhere i could think of.
Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

It's not too late to set up a game cam! Whoever took him just might be back for one of his hens to keep him company. They got away with it the first time, so they might just be bold (stupid) enough to come back. If it was my turkey, I would pursue this thief until H--L froze over and then push him out on the ice !!!!!! HA!!!!!!! Chances are, he's close by. Maybe you could just drop in and visit some of your neighbors in the area?

I don't know where you live but if you have wild turkeys in your area, he could be out chasing them. I leave all of my young turkeys in a 6' pen until they can fly out. The entire flock roosts on top of a 6' dog pen. Even my 3 1/2 year RP Tom with a bumb leg gets up there. RP's are pretty bad about roaming so hopefully he will turn back up. I lost a sweetgrass tom yesterday because the flock took off a mile down the road to a neighbors house with 2 labs and they got him. I don't really fault the dogs because the turkeys went to them but if they come over here I will do something. I hope your bird comes back. Your eggs will be fertile for a couple of weeks so collect and hatch them if he is your only tom.

agreed, 6 ft is nothing for a turkey to hop over, and bieng this time of year, he could have easily been persuaded to go check out the wild flocks hens. leave feed around the pen and hope for the best.

I'd be more inclined to think he flew the coop... I am not sure that a person would go over a 6' chainlink fence then come back over carrying a full grown tom turkey?

I hope he comes back...

He came back! Guess he just went out for a quart of milk and a pack of smokes. Showed up the other day outside the fence trying to get back in. Too stupid to fly over to get back. I clipped his wing today. He's a big mean one . Don't know where he went ,couldn't have been far but I'm surprised he left his ladies this time of year. I have no wild turkeys around for him to chase. Just glad cause turkey season opens Sat the 12th here in Fla for youth. Somebody would be stupid enough to shoot him knowing he's a heritage turkey and not Osceola .

Just glad he's back and attacking me when I come to feed them,,, sorta

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom