Royal Palm Turkey Hen - Turkey Tia

CatSol

Songster
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Muscoy, CA
I just thought I would share... Though it has now been 3 months. My Royal Palm Turkey hen, Tia has gone through a lot in her 2 years. She was the only survivor of a neighbor dog attack. This year I have no other turkeys and she was broody... I had just gotten rid of my two roosters (one of whom she had a crush on... very strange that was) and still some fertile chicken eggs. I gave her 8 and 5 to a chicken. I did not think it would go all that well..... The chicken hen hatched 3 and rejected 1.... Tia hatched out 6 and accepted the orphan.... I have Nine chicks of different breeds....Only 2 or 3 are roos.... This has been an amazing 3 months. The little one near the wall is the rejected chick, Iris is half BO/EE

Very much guarding her babies Good mom

About a month old

Why are my babies so small and strange colors?

At three months of age they still all fallow her around. Some even still try to sit on her back. And she still makes sure no one harms or gets to close to her babies. The other 2 that were raised with a chicken have been on their own for a long time now. REally love how Turkey Tia has done. Good job Mom...

Good for her. My turkey hens often had crushes on roosters too, lol.
Thanks;) I could not believe it when I saw that... She would squat for him.... Was the silliest thing I have seen yet....
lau.gif
Large turkey... EE rooster... just doesn't work...lol...

Thanks;) I could not believe it when I saw that... She would squat for him.... Was the silliest thing I have seen yet....
lau.gif
Large turkey... EE rooster... just doesn't work...lol...

Probably actually would work; after all chicken-hybrid turkeys have to come from unbalanced matches no matter which species is on top. My miniature banty males never had trouble mating with much larger hens.

My turkey hens would spend all day following around their objects of obsession, trying to invite them to mate, the roosters didn't appreciate it though. ;)

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom