1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Royal Palm turkey's

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by barredmuscovy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. rcking

rcking Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    KY
  2. barredmuscovy

barredmuscovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2014
    Sorry I don't about those I have used my incubator I always let there mother sit on them and if there not good enough moms when they hatch there babies I take them away

3. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I don't have any pics yet but my first batch of 11 eggs are in the bator now. I got them in a swap on here. Just candled and so far, all look good. Really excited to see them hatch since they are my first turkeys.

4. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    O cool what type of turkey's last year 1 of my hens hatched 38 babies in an old wood burning stove and the other hatched 7 but they never hatched on the same day I had 1 a day and the other they all hatch together. To funny right

5. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I received 15 Royal Palm turkey eggs from CA and I am in WV. They were shipped to me and 4 were broken upon delivery but the remaining 11 are progressing nicely.

6. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    That so awesome hope they all hatch my 3 turkey's are royal palms too there amazing birds

7. barredmuscovy

Feb 22, 2014
    [​IMG]here they are

8. rjfarm

rjfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    Hi
    I'm looking for a good used gqf cabinet incubator to hatch some chicken and turkey egg if any know where I can find a used one at a good price .please let me know thanks

9. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    I was looking into getting some Turkeys and was wandering on what bred would be best for me. I have a small farm with Chickens and Ducks right now and raise for meat and eggs. I was seriously considering Royal Palms but was wandering a few things.

How big do Toms and Hens get?
    How many eggs a year do you get outta hens?
    Do hens go broody frequently?
    Would I be able to keep them around the rest of my animals?
    How easy are they to deal with?
    What age do you butcher them and how much feed do they consume in that time?

That's all I can think of now but would love that and all other info I could get. I'll be reading up on this thread and others I can find on the breed. Thanks in advance for the answers.

10. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I raised 4 Royal Palm turkeys last summer, more or less by accident, because the feed store that sold them to me said they were Broad Breasted Whites. I butchered all four at about 28 or 30 weeks and the two toms dressed out at about 12 pounds with the hens not being more than about 6 pounds. I can't tell you about eggs and broodiness because I didn't keep them that long. I kept them in a separate pen from my hens, but would let them all out to free range together. Generally the turkeys hung with the turkeys and left the hens alone, but they would occasionally raid the chicken run and eat the chicken's food. How easy? My turkeys were really good flyers and I had difficulty keeping them in the 6 foot high enclosure. There was an indoor portion that I wanted them to use during the night and I'd have to chase them off the top of the fence and inside every night only to find them out running around outside the enclosure in the morning. Since we have coyotes and bobcats and bears and mountain lions in our area, I finally ended up clipping their wing feathers and care became easier. They didn't stray far when I let them out to free range, usually wandering over to look in the kitchen windows and see what I was doing and easy to get back in their pen with a little scratch.

At the point where I butchered them, I estimate that they had each eaten an average of $30 - $35 worth of feed, making it a pretty expensive feast (however, I only paid $8/poult for them since they were advertized as BBW). That said, they were by far the most delicious turkeys I've ever eaten. I'm trying Bourbon Reds this year, hoping for that same awesome flavor but a bit more meat.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by